• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The value of your Black Belt!

Is there any prestige left in the grade of "Black Belt"?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Is there any prestige left in the grade of "Black Belt"?

• Yes
    • No

It is important if you earn it. A black belt you have gotten from signing a two year contract isnt something earned, it is a sure thing that you will get in two years. A black belt earned by hard work and sweat and pain is a black belt well earned. And that, is a black belt that is real.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A black belt is supposed to mean you can resolve a conflict with little or no effort, especially against one or two assailants.

Does it mean absolute knowledge or experience? Not necessarily.

Does it mean you are the master? No.

Does it mean you worked for it.

In some cases yes, and in some cases no.

:)

Current:Head Instructor - ShoNaibuDo - TCM/Taijiquan/Chinese Boxing Instructor

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

Be at peace, and share peace with others...

I think there's still value of a black belt. But the emphasis is what one does after obtaining that level. If one proves him/herself in black belt level competition, that would mean something. If one teaches students successfully, that would also mean something. If one chooses to do some useful things in the community as a result of being inspired by being a black belt, that would also mean something. On the other hand, if one simply retires from martial arts after getting a black belt, then it won't mean much anymore.

Clint

Free Spirit Martial Arts Activewear

http://www.FreeSpiritActivewear.com

There is still value of a black belt, for.... BJJ :D

Aikido have names for techniques like "heaven and earth."which represents the creation of the universe along with a philosophical meaning.

Muay Thai have names for techniques like "closing the lamp", which means "punch him in the eye."

I haven't yet reached the leavel of Black Belt.

I am currently, Yellow Belt, 1st Tip, which is 8th Kyu in my style and that Yellow Belt is a sign of the training and experience I have gained. I think that would go for a person with a Black Belt as well.

Evade, Block, Counter

If it works, use it!

I do think that the black belt in general has lost some of its value. I look at the 10 year old black belts and I shake my head. Yes of course they think they worked for it and its great that they tried their hardest, but I don't think they have the maturity to understand what it really means. The only places I see these young black belts are the mcdojos. Some of these dojos I see seem to have dozens of belt colors with increasing charges on the rank. I see these young black belts and I see the money just being sucked away from their parents.

I also don't agree with young black belts because in a way I was really young when I achieved my shodan at 15. I was the youngest in the association to have received my shodan. I studied kyokushin for 6 years before testing; I passed all the grueling requirements of a kyokushin shodan test such as the tameshiwari, and the long full contact kumite sessions. I felt I was mature enough. Physically I was capable. Yet looking back I don't think I really quite understood what really holding a shodan is all about.

Why? After receiving my shodan I took a break: A very long break. Even at the time I knew that the shodan was the beginning to truely training in my art, yet for some reason I gradually stopped. Highschool stuff started to interfere, and although I had some legitimate reasons such as no car and we moved, none of these exscuses should explain my break. I think if I was mature enough, there is no way I would take such a long break away from training. I'm now 19, and I am just starting to train again; however, now my passion is just as strong actually I believe stronger than before. I look at my shodan and I remember how hard I worked for it, and it really just inspires me to train, and to be my best again. Kyokushin karate gave me the qualities that make me who I am today. I really wish at the time of my shodan, I could appreciate it as much as I do today, because it would be that much more sastisfying. I think at that time it was more like "sweet, i got my black belt " even though I know I never really ever thought that way explicitly. I just wish that maybe I was a little older where I could really understand what being a shodan means.

Did I work hard for it? In my mind of course. Even then I knew at the time how hard it is to obtain a shodan in Kyokushin. Physically I deserved my belt, and I was mentally tough enough to push myself through my personal limits to pass. Yet like I said I really don't think that I really quite understood what was going on, because i was too young and thats at 15. 10 year old black belts? I just don't think its right.

washjeff09, go back and read white warlocks post. you don't need a black belt to mature. and plenty of people have growth without a black belt.

Then reread my original post with that understanding.

and keep training.

place clever martial arts phrase here

washJeff09 wrote: After receiving my shodan I took a break: A very long break. Even at the time I knew that the shodan was the beginning to truely training in my art, yet for some reason I gradually stopped. Highschool stuff started to interfere, and although I had some legitimate reasons such as no car and we moved, none of these exscuses should explain my break. I think if I was mature enough, there is no way I would take such a long break away from training. I'm now 19, and I am just starting to train again; however, now my passion is just as strong actually I believe stronger than before. I look at my shodan and I remember how hard I worked for it, and it really just inspires me to train, and to be my best again. Kyokushin karate gave me the qualities that make me who I am today. I really wish at the time of my shodan, I could appreciate it as much as I do today, because it would be that much more sastisfying. I think at that time it was more like "sweet, i got my black belt " even though I know I never really ever thought that way explicitly. I just wish that maybe I was a little older where I could really understand what being a shodan means.

Did I work hard for it? In my mind of course. Even then I knew at the time how hard it is to obtain a shodan in Kyokushin. Physically I deserved my belt, and I was mentally tough enough to push myself through my personal limits to pass. Yet like I said I really don't think that I really quite understood what was going on, because i was too young and thats at 15. 10 year old black belts? I just don't think its right.

Don't be so hard on yourself! Sometimes, in life, there are things and/or situations that you have no control over. Try not to dwell on the "should of, could of, would of" and focus on where you are at right now and where you would like to go with martial arts. Be encouraged!

"Blessed be the Lord my Rock, and my keen and firm Strength, Who teaches my hands to war and my fingers to fight." Psalm 144:1

Don't be so hard on yourself! Sometimes, in life, there are things and/or situations that you have no control over. Try not to dwell on the "should of, could of, would of" and focus on where you are at right now and where you would like to go with martial arts. Be encouraged!

Well the reason I posted this though is to show that I don't think that extremely young black belts are a good thing. First for the holders themselves, and for the art. Of course I'm not really one to judge but its just my opinion, and I used myself as somewhat of an example. Like I said though just an opinion and nothing more. As far as myself? Don't get me wrong, the only thing I'm trying to say is that I wish I had never took such time off, because for one it's not respectful to my dojo and two, for my own good. I believe if I was older I would've never just quit cold turkey like that. I think that's proof that at the time I really just didn't understand as well as I thought I did.

I do use this to motivate me. I'm starting to contact my senseis and shihans again, and I know that if I train hard, I can get back to where I once was, and hopefully with my added size and strength, be much better.