• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I came through a school with no affiliation that taught katas and techniques specific to that school (and the school that our main instructor came from).

There is nothing wrong with a non-affiliated school. If done right, the instructor can save lots of money not paying membership dues. On the other hand, affiliations offer some good things, particularly networking and promotion abilities.

The bottom line is if you come across a school with no affiliation ties, give them a chance and see what they are teaching.

lk

I'd rather risk it and go for organization schools.

Still, the fact that a school is in an org. could mean little to nothing. It depends heavily on the organiziation. Open up the back of Black Belt magazine and you can find about 5 different orgs that will allow anyone to join without any testing or rules. The person who joins gets the window decal and permission to use the name of the org. It makes him or her look good, but is a hollow membership to dupe people who only will go to a school in an org.

lk

Iaffiliations offer some good things, particularly networking and promotion abilities.

But in the case of karate organizations, "promotion abilities" means that the organization will trade their validation of what you do for you toeing the company line. Since karate credentials have no "transfer value", meaning that they only have value to the person that earns them and the other people that accept the credentials as having value, they really don't matter very much.

It's sort of like being elected president of your fraternity. You and your fraternity think it is cool, but the rest of us could not care less about your position in your fraternity.

I once had a friend of mine who said, "My 4th dan is the equivalent of a 4th level elf in Dungeons and Dragons." I have a 3rd dan I earned in Japan, and I feel the same way. It was fun for me, but hell, no one can even read my suffer-ticket except my Japanese friends. LOL!