• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Tang Soo Do

Now, would the TSD that goes around today be more like the ITF or "traditional" styles of TKD that are out there, and less like the WTF style of TKD? I have a book on TSD, and it seems more like a traditional type of TKD, kind of like what I do.

Yes, It is. The Forms are different and there are some slight differences in chambering and some blocking.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now, would the TSD that goes around today be more like the ITF or "traditional" styles of TKD that are out there, and less like the WTF style of TKD? I have a book on TSD, and it seems more like a traditional type of TKD, kind of like what I do.

Yes, It is. The Forms are different and there are some slight differences in chambering and some blocking.

I noticed some of the technical differences in hand technique and kicking styles, but I had to adjust some things when I went from the ATA to the styel of TKD I do now.

• 1 month later...
Most of Tang Soo Do's and Tae Kwon Do's kata are borowed from other styles. I know that the Nai Han JI forms are supposed to be from Tai Chi.

It would make sense that when they are 'borrowed' that the new style puts its own twang to the form. Which may be why the dates are slighty later than the originals.

Greetings my fellow Martial Artist

I used to train in Tang Soo Do and graded upto 4th Gup, I left 1 week away from my 3rd Gup grading. I miss Tang Soo Do and the Senior Kata that I was begining to learn I'd just begun to learn the Chil Sung Hyungs. My instructor changed the gradiing syllabus and rearranged the Kata for each grade, plus put the prices up dramtically for monthly subscription and gradings.

I was cross training in Ashihara Karate (which I now teach), and I had to make a decision as to which 'Do' to follow. I have trained in various styles since leaving Tang Soo Do but it never had the same 'feel' until I found 'Wado Ryu'.

The 'Nai Han Ji' hyung is similar to Wado Ryu's Naihanchi kata and is also practiced in other Japanese karate styles (it is know as Tekki in Shotokan) so I am unsure of its origin but most forms are predominately Chinese/Korean by default via Okinawa where Japanese Karate stems from

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naihanchi

:karate:

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

Most of Tang Soo Do's and Tae Kwon Do's kata are borowed from other styles. I know that the Nai Han JI forms are supposed to be from Tai Chi.

It would make sense that when they are 'borrowed' that the new style puts its own twang to the form. Which may be why the dates are slighty later than the originals.

Sorry for aking forever I have only just jioned this forum and have already noticed that this mistake has been made, since I am a 2nd Dan Karate-ka I am highly offended that you can say that Nai Han Ji originated from Tai Chi. Nai Han Ji is a veryation of Nai Hanchi an okinawan kata that has it's roots in karate and most kata in TSD has been copied from the okinawan counter-parts eg Pinan Nidan, Shodan, Sandan, Yodan and Godan as well Jion and multiple others but I am too lazy to type!

Exhaulted 15th Dan

well I wouldn't say it was completely off that it came from tai Chi. Beacuse it was taken from Okinawa right? Okinawa got a lot of it's arts from China. So one way or another, it was Chinese influenced.

https://www.samuraimartialsports.com for your source of Karate,Kobudo,Aikido,And Kung-Fu

well I wouldn't say it was completely off that it came from tai Chi. Beacuse it was taken from Okinawa right? Okinawa got a lot of it's arts from China. So one way or another, it was Chinese influenced.

The Marial Arts are all part of the same family tree, aren't they.

• 6 months later...

In my studies it started in the Tang' dynesty of China. TSD and TKD both started at this time the only difference is TKD started as a sport and TSD started as the MA behide that sport.

John-to the-Boy: 5th gup, TSD