• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

O sorry.

I read your comment to mean the Japanese changed the name. I disagree because the style was created during the occupation and formalized after.

My comment was saying the Koreans may have changed the name after the occupation.

Nothing was going on there while I was there, I was just shopping around. It was like Thursday afternoon.

I have heard Moo duk kwan mentioned both in regards to TKD and TSD. Is it roughly the same? If so, it would create even more of a link between TKD and TSD, and the foundations in Shotokan.

i've studied both MDK TKD growing up for over ten yrs in the states, then MDK TSD while stationed in japan for 3 yrs......nearly identical just like shotokan and many other forms of karate which i also studied off and on for 4 yrs.....the only difference is how the instructors have taught their styles in the last 60 yrs and how it has evolved in that time frame. I have found that i can go to anyone of these schools and within a few months be awarded a black belt because nearly everything they teach is the same as my original art form.

That which does not destroy me will only make me stronger

MDK TSD was asked to join the other Kwans and unify under the title TKD. Some schools did and others did not.

I have seen very few MDK TSD schools but the two I have seen are pretty much the same as a TSD. One school used the ITF TKD patterns for kata. That was the only noticable difference.

i've studied both MDK TKD growing up for over ten yrs in the states, then MDK TSD while stationed in japan for 3 yrs......nearly identical just like shotokan and many other forms of karate which i also studied off and on for 4 yrs.....the only difference is how the instructors have taught their styles in the last 60 yrs and how it has evolved in that time frame. I have found that i can go to anyone of these schools and within a few months be awarded a black belt because nearly everything they teach is the same as my original art form.

So, it is most likely that TSD was one of the 5 or 6 orginal kwans out of Korea, correct?

the way i understand it is that when they decided to create a unified martial arts system from the kwans that they first gave it the name of tkd and it was based off of shotokan principals......BUT....quickly after doing this they had an arguement in which another group claimed they already had picked taekwondo for its name....so they changed the original art they created (namewise) from tkd to tsd.....but of course not all of the students and instructors that were now teaching in the US got the memo....so many continued to teach tkd as it was picked out to be like shotokan. Then there was the new type of tkd, the group complaining, that is what we see today in majority as tkd. The tang soo do on the other kept that name from then on.....a confusing time and still confusing to this day.....it all depends on your instructor and where they got their knowledge from and what it was called at that time.

That which does not destroy me will only make me stronger

the way i understand it is that when they decided to create a unified martial arts system from the kwans that they first gave it the name of tkd and it was based off of shotokan principals......BUT....quickly after doing this they had an arguement in which another group claimed they already had picked taekwondo for its name....so they changed the original art they created (namewise) from tkd to tsd.....but of course not all of the students and instructors that were now teaching in the US got the memo....so many continued to teach tkd as it was picked out to be like shotokan. Then there was the new type of tkd, the group complaining, that is what we see today in majority as tkd. The tang soo do on the other kept that name from then on.....a confusing time and still confusing to this day.....it all depends on your instructor and where they got their knowledge from and what it was called at that time.

Now, would the TSD that goes around today be more like the ITF or "traditional" styles of TKD that are out there, and less like the WTF style of TKD? I have a book on TSD, and it seems more like a traditional type of TKD, kind of like what I do.