• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Tang Soo Do

Hi,

I hope this question isn't out of place and my oppologies if it is, but I am very curious about the Korean arts and Tang Soo Do in particular.

I Studied A Korean art for a couple of years long long ago. The school was under S. Henry Cho and the system was called Ji Do Kwan.

Although I haven't been involved in TKD or any of it's sister arts for many years I still have the opportunity to watch a class or read an article every so often. I often hear or read about the forms (hyungs) and how they are thousands of years old.

My question here is what info is given in the Tang Soo Do schools as to the history of their art and the forms they practice concerning age and where they came from.

I might ask the same question of the rest of the TKD schools.

Thank you

Tommy

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The modern forms of Tang Soo Do and Tae Kwon Do appeared in the 1960's as an evolution of Moo Duk Kwan - which is derived from Soo Bahk Do which can be traced back to 57 BC or 918 AD depending who you ask.

But to answer your question:

Naihanji based forms - 950 odd years old

Jin Do - 300 odd years old

Ba Sa Hee - 450 years old

Pyung Ahn - 135 years old

The Chil Sung forms were created in the 1980's by Grand Master Hwang Kee

The more I train, the more I see the errors in my technique :(

Click the Back button, and see the thread right above yours

I read that thread and it didn' have any of the history I'm refering too.

The post below is what I'm interested in.

Thank you.

The modern forms of Tang Soo Do and Tae Kwon Do appeared in the 1960's as an evolution of Moo Duk Kwan - which is derived from Soo Bahk Do which can be traced back to 57 BC or 918 AD depending who you ask.

But to answer your question:

Naihanji based forms - 950 odd years old

Jin Do - 300 odd years old

Ba Sa Hee - 450 years old

Pyung Ahn - 135 years old

The Chil Sung forms were created in the 1980's by Grand Master Hwang Kee

This is what I find odd. All These forms seem to be versions of Okinawan kata. Pyung Ahn for instance, is the Korean pronunciation of the Okinawan word Pinan, isn't it? I've seen the kata and theyr'e the same. The Pinan kata (forms) were created in Okinawa in 1908 by Itosu Anko for introduction into the Okinawan school system.

Another note is that the versions practiced in Tang Soo Do aren't the original Okinawan versions but more like the more modern versions (1922?) revamped by Funakoshi and brought to Japan.

Tommy

Most of Tang Soo Do's and Tae Kwon Do's kata are borowed from other styles. I know that the Nai Han JI forms are supposed to be from Tai Chi.

It would make sense that when they are 'borrowed' that the new style puts its own twang to the form. Which may be why the dates are slighty later than the originals.

The more I train, the more I see the errors in my technique :(

interesting topic. Yes, I would like to know more on how Tang Soo Do came upon their forms. Also, if names of the guys who came up with this forms could be attached as well, that would be great.

Because I said so, and I am that damn good.

Yes there is allowance for similarities, but to say these forms are orginal and date back so many years does need to be questioned.

Because I said so, and I am that damn good.

When I studied Ji do qwan (TKD) it was basicly Shotokan with a Korean name. I really don't see the difference between TSD and Shotokan either.

It appears to be Shotkan with a Korean name. This is why I question the dates and lineage as well as the claimed age of the forms. There is no question that they are Heian kata. Even regular TKD seem to be Heian kata with the order of techniques jumbled. I'm merely looking for more concrete data.

Tommy

Tang Soo Do borrowed the forms and incorporated them into the style... So the forms do not define the lineage of Tang Soo Do. Tang Soo Do/Soo Bahk Do also has Korean forms, not shared by any other style.

Master Jason Powlette

5th Dan, Tang Soo Do

--Tang Soo!!!