• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

My first tournament is coming up on Nov 14, theres three events, GTF Taekwon-do sparring(continuous), Forms, and WHA Hapkido sparring. most competitors including myself are competing in all three, the divisions are gonna be split up into about 6 people each, my problem is that my stand up sparring needs alot of offensive work i just can't seem to mount any sorta attack all i can do comfortably is block and throw the occasional single move off the counter, the only good news is that im very comfortable on the ground even against the black belt(imma white belt) not to say im super good im just comfortable, but ive been told that the hapkido sparring is gonna be stood up every 30 secs so the one area im comfortable is rather limited. Another thing ive been told is theres a good chance they'll be jujitsu guys there and i only practice hapkido 1 night a week(teakwondo 1 a week also).

So id greetly appreciate any bag drills or suggestion in general for not only improving my striking (combinations/counters) but also gaining an edge on the ground, remembering that with college i dont really have time to find a offday sparring partner, all i got is my heavy bag and a weight set.

thanks for any replies

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

It doesn't matter wither you win or loose , it's your first tournament , it should be all about gaining experience . My advice : fight as hard as you can , this way every body is gonna respect you

Good luck

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike

Yep tournaments in my eyes aren't about winning or losing it is about the experience and meeting new friends...who cares if you get a trophy, medal or ribbon..just dust collectors! It's lasting frienships and bonds you make with people that last! HAVE FUN!! I am going to my 4th tournament on Oct 29!

JUST TRAIN

Student of the Han Method

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's allready tomorrow in Australia" Charles Schultz

https://www.YounWha.com

yes i am more then aware of your points , i am not expecting to win anything, but i think the best way to make this a learning experience is to have a starting point instead of relying on blind trial and error, thats the only reason i posted, and your responses only make me wary of askin for advice again for fear of only recieving the dead obvious, I dont mean to come off aggressive and i do appreciate people taking the time to respond. Thanks anyways

Everyone learns from his mistakes , I mean , no matter what the result is winning or loosing , when the tournament is over , YOU must evaluate yourself , how you fought & the mistakes you made to work on avoiding them in the future .

Generally , first tournaments are fear killers , and they serve as a strting point , not this thread

OSU

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike

once again i completely agree already, just because its my first tournament does not make me nieve, you gave good advice but i just wanted to let you know it wasnt the advice i needed because it was already in my head when i made this thread, i felt i needed to make that clear cause about 7 people responded all saying the same thing, and im not looking to be flawless i'd just think a more efficient way to learn from my mistakes is have an idea of what other people do kind of like doing your chapter reading before you start your assignment. Once again i thank you cause i can see your trying to get a point acroos that you think is important for my good, but im already with you on it