• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Heavy Bag Stands - anyone tried this model?

bald1rides

http://store.titleboxing.com/title-professional-freestanding-heavybag-speedbag.html

Anyone tried one? Reactions? Specifically I'm curious about:

1) Does it transmit noise down thru the floor?

2) Is it stable?

Everlast makes one as well:

http://store.titleboxing.com/title-everlast-heavybag-speedbag-stand.html

Same questions.

Thanks!

"When you can balance a tack hammer on your head, then you can head off your foes with a balanced attack!"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I’ve never tried one of these models, but I’ve worked out on Century’s Cornerman. The major difference that I can see is that the Cornerman doesn’t strap the bag down, it hangs and swings freely. I guess you could untie this bag and get the same effect.

I can’t answer your questions regarding the specified model, but as for the Cornerman:

1) I never noticed any sound through the floor, but we were in a large building with a pretty solid floor.

2) It was very stable. No one was able to knock it over or anything.

If you get it, let us know what you think.

Good luck.

Thanks for the reply.

We have one like that in the dojo. Unfortunately it is not set up right and it rocks every time you give it a good smack.

These home models are a bit different, but they don't take up much room.

Once again, thanks for your reply

"When you can balance a tack hammer on your head, then you can head off your foes with a balanced attack!"

The two you presented are horrible. If your only goal is to stand still and hit the bag, they are 'okay,' but the best practice you can obtain is to move about, and the legs of these two get in the way. Also both of them have those two bars sticking up on the fore and aft legs, which are intended to have weights parked on them to hold the object down. If you don't have weights on them, to the top, those bars can seriously injure you while you step, or if you fall. The strap on the bottom is great to hold the bag in place, but it is there mainly because the bag is too light and it hampers your ability to perform knees. As well it doesn't offer the ability to switch the bag to an uppercut bag, which i think is an essential element.

Last, without the weights on the legs, the stupid things almost topple over every time i've hit one, causing me to 'hold back' just so i could get a workout. With the weights, the stupid things still creep across the friggin' floor. In my opinion, both of the ones you presented are garbage.

The corner bag presented by scottnschelly is far safer and far more versatile. It also doesn't have anywhere to creep to and doesn't topple.

If you're hoping for a home bag, get the one of those water dummies or something. Not only are they 'stylish,' but they don't damage the floor, are very safe to use, allow for uppercuts, hold a silhouette similar to a real opponent, are far cheaper, and take little space. You could even have it in your living room. Put a hat on it and call it Joe.

http://www.energy-sports.de/images/boxdummyxl.jpg

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

As to the one i presented making noise, i've heard it gives a little bit of sound, but nothing like those monstrosities you presented. Also, if you place a couple of layers of rug or padding under it, that should buffer it almost completely.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

I am a much bigger fan of the BOB (Body Opponent Bag). It is a little more realistic and provides the same amount of versatility; you lose no function compared to a hanging bag. The only thing I don’t like about the BOB is that the base can get in the way, and if it’s not filled to capacity with water, it can topple over easily. Of course, when compared to the ones in question (according to White Warlock) the BOB is better in all aspects. I’d rather stub my toe on the base of a BOB than to step or fall on one of those bars sticking up.

So you guys don't have a problem with knocking Angry Bob down? My nephew has a free standing unit (not PO'd Bob) and it pretty much goes over whenever I give it a good cross.

At full fill with sand yes, BOB does topple with my punches on occasion. But, i really haven't found much that can withstand my uber Mike Tyson punch. Hey, is that fight with Mas Oyama and Mike Tyson still on? :brow:

Seriously though, it's not often and requires a good, firm shot at just the right angle. BOB tends to give with the hits, in many ways like a person would, so when i do cause it to topple i consider this a strike strong enough to cause a live dummy to fall back and over (for it likely is).. and thus follow through with finishing strikes as BOB goes to the ground.

Also, if you really do repeatedly deliver power punches that knock BOB over, you can always opt to purchase a bag of lead pellets and put those in the base. But, i found sand to be sufficient and far cheaper.

I'm not keen with putting water in these things, especially if you have a wood floor or if you are on the second floor of an apartment. A leak is a leak.

Intro

Yea, the leaking thing was my next question. Hate to have to pay for water damage to the apt below me.

thanks for the advice!

I bought a Century XXL bag (simillar to a BOB but w/ a long bag instead of BOB). It works great for the patio & I can't knock it over. But it will slide all over the concrete. Its the only drawback I see. I'd imagine the Cornerman set up is better if one has the room & $$.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton