• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doshu Mertz MIGHT have issues

The man might have issues, but there is no way i'd ever want to be on his bad side. In all my time I don't think I have ever seen anyone quite so dangerous. He came up to NJ last week and did a demo and it totally blew my mind away. Really nice guy offline, but when he gets on the mat you can see a killer in his eyes.

I did Shotokan forever and when I started taking Saishu Ryu Sensei Whitsell beat me senseless. I saw Doshu take down my sensei like he was nothing. The whole match was amazing, it was like push, pull, then my Sensei was in the air, then Doshu picked him up threw him against the wall and the put him in a standing arm bar and made him submit from a standing position. I have never seen anything like that in my whole life.

Tomo

Tomo Kagawa

--------------------------------------

https://www.saishuryu.com

...but they are fighting....with strikes....and no punches to the face...I don't see the point or logic...

Every time I talk to a practitioner from other style he/she asks the same question , why hand strikes to the head are not allowed in kyokushin ? Well , Oyama Sosai's philosophy was that a karate practitioner should not wear any protective gear in order to make the fight closer to real situation , in the first days of kyokushin bare knuckle hand strikes to the head were legal but regarding the high number of injuries among fighters they where disallowed .

A kyokushin practitioner who trains for tournaments only will probably have troubles dealing with facial hand strikes .

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike

if you get a kyokushin dude to train with a couple buddies or join a kickboxing gym he/she could learn to work with face punches/kicks

First of all , kicks with full power to the head are perfectly allowed in kyokushin , second , we do not live in a close world anymore and matches between different styles/schools are getting more popular day after day , therefore it's rare to c and advanced kyokushin karateka who has never fought in kickboxing format , lots of kyokushin dojos are incorporating some kickboxing in their training to complete that small missing piece in kyokushin ( facial hand strikes ) , for instance , we have a kumite training session on Sundays were we allow hand strikes to the head and grappling ( we wear MMA gloves ) .

sorry i didn't know that, but it sounds good . Is it just your dojo or all kyokushinkai dojos?

Just our dojo as far as i know , but other dojos are incorprating kick & thai techniques (and grappling) one way or another , hek , I know an instructor who registred his style as kyokushin muay thai ( sounds silly , I know )

Perhaps a tangent now, but relevant to the original topic.

Do you mean Funakoshi Yoshitaka's Shotokan, where the stances are stronger and deeper, the one that's closer to Azato's Shuri-te?

Actually, a real emphasis on "stronger and deeper" does not have much to do with Shuri-te at all.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/