• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shotkans effectiveness

elfordo

You can come from an awesome lineage.

Is it me, or does the whole lineage thing seem to be kind of Shotokan specific. I mean most systems are like, oh yeah we're from that guy, but with Shotokan karateka they are like, well I am a 6th generation student twice removed directly under Funakoshi. LOL

Lineage is important, but it seems like it's overstressed in Shotokan.

John

Althogh I'm a Shotokan Practioner myself, I have to agree. I even found myself (albiet, some years ago) taking pride in the fact that I'm in a tree with only 2 instructor between myself and Funakoshi, but in the real scheme of things, I don't think that means much. Afterall, just cos my instructor was close to Funakoshi's Karate does not make him a good instructor.

I haven't seen anyone from other Martial Arts really go on about it either.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am 13, currently in Shotokan as my first art. I am kinda using it to get me started in martial arts and to teach me how to focus so when i learn other martials arts it will be simpler

"The mind is a powerful weapon"

I am 13, currently in Shotokan as my first art. I am kinda using it to get me started in martial arts and to teach me how to focus so when i learn other martials arts it will be simpler

Very wise idea! Get a good basis in one art first, then once you have a fair grasp on that, start to expand your reach!

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.