• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How long did it take you to get to belt level you're at

JKDkid2

I havent been in the belt system for a while and i'm not looking for a yellow belt(i'm white at the moment) since i just started but i'm interested in knowing the amount of time it took people to get to the belt level they're at??

Training regularly for 4 yrs. at 2-3 sessions per week, 2 hrs. per session, I was able to reach shodan (1st degree blackbelt). After which, because of the pressures of work, my post shodan training was less regular and it took me 7 years to reach my current rank sandan (3rd degree blackbelt). I'm now retired from formal karate training at 55 yrs. for reasons beyond my control and just do daily self-practice at my private "dojo" for skill maintenance, probably until the bell tolls for me.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a kid in my school about 3rd grade and he said he's been doin karate since he was in kindergarden and he is just recieving his 6th kyu.

Class is every day except Sunday and the hours of training varies.

Took me 5 years to achieve my dan grade, but I missed quite a few classes for a while for various reasons. So I was a black belt by the time I was 13 and teaching adults and large classes in general which was very daunting at first but in time it got easier. Then when I became 16 (or just before I was 16, cant quite remember) I had to drop down a grade for a bit, and go through knife and stick defences, leg sweeps, imobilising holds and bone dislocations to earn my senior dan grade. For the next 7 years I stayed a 1st dan, purely for the reason I had no interest in grading anymore. Then I was told I was grading (even though I didnt want to), and I achieved my 2nd dan, and it was because of that grading that I really got into bunkai and learning about other arts, and I know so much more because of it, so I'm glad they made me do it :)

Doing the bull dance, feeling the groove, working it, working it!

It's not quantity it's quality that counts! :wink:

Tommy

Hi, Tommy! Looks like you got another belt here to your credit, buddy.

Is that a black belt that has worn out until it's white? I Guess not, my new belt seems to symbolize newness or beginner status!

:)

Tommy