• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

your views on taekwondo and other korean arts.

perhaps the caps are on so old guys like myself can see the words(lol). it is easier to read without straining. :nod:

what no smiley with glasses....what up wit that pat.

rushman (karate forums sensei)

3rd dan wtf/kukkiwon

"saying nothing...sometimes says the most"--e. dickerson

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

there you go; pat made the point for me..i couldn't see the smiley with glasses. :cool:

3rd dan wtf/kukkiwon

does anyone have any experience with hawrangdo? ( not sure of the spelling)...i do believe it is a northern korean art.

3rd dan wtf/kukkiwon

also i'm looking for information on a combat korean art named...........teukgongmoosool?

can anyone enlighten me on this?

3rd dan wtf/kukkiwon

it is a system used more so by the north korean military it is a hybird of taekwondo hapkido and kuk sool won..from what i have read its more of a "system" than a traditional martial art...there is a club at yahoo for this system..i havent visited it in a while due to lack of activity on the site..

Javier l Rosario

instructor taekwondo/hapkido

under master Atef s Himaya

"whenever youre lazy enough not to train .someone, somewhere is training very hard to kick your *"

• 2 years later...

i would say that hwarang do's biggest strength is also it's weakness: there's so much material that you kind of end up a "jack of all trades, master of none" sort of deal. then you tend to specialize in something, be it weapons, striking, grappling, whatever.

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai

I study Kuk Sool Won.

KWS isn't a "style", it is a system of styles - those of the ancient Korean tribal, bhuddist, and royal court martial arts.

It does take time to learn the various techniques as you progress up in rank, but I don't see the problem with that.

Yes, there may be situations where I haven't yet learned the appropriate technique to handle, but really, show me any martial art that can legitimately claim to teach you how to handle every conceivable scenario in just a few months time.

I have a hard time accepting the "time to learn" criteria as being legitimate. If someone told me they could make me a practically invincible fighter in just a couple years, I'd be highly skeptical to say the least.

Dean

Dahn Boh Nim - Black-Brown Belt

Kuk Sool Won

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow." - James Dean