• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

your views on taekwondo and other korean arts.

due to the intensity in the reponses to the topic "doubts in taekwondo". it has been deleted.

so therefore, i would like to reintroduce this topic, as your personal views of taekwondo & other korean arts.

thank you and your views are important to me.

:nod:

rushman (karate forums sensei)

3rd dan wtf/kukkiwon

"saying nothing...sometimes says the most"--e. dickerson

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Bah, I was quite enjoying that thread :weirdlook:

Ah well, I guess we didn't want people falling out over it, so anyways how I feel about Tae Kwon Do.

Even with TKD as my one and only MA, I still think that it may need crosstraining to be really effective in a real life crisis, however I also believe that it is a lot down to how the person fights... if they use a few techniques and experiences from TKD with their fighting, I believe it can be quite effective, but if they try purely TKD then they might end up injured. I, however, do Shadow boxing which I do very much lots of so it almost counts as doing basic boxing, but a lot of combos and visualising. All I am trying to say that TKD is a good martial art, all of them are, but its application is more of an art than a down to earth fighting style, however a lot depends on the school. There are some more realistic/down to earth arts, such as BJJ, but TKD also has its up points, especially when combined with a grappling art

Jack

Currently 'off' from formal MA training

KarateForums.com

Well, TKD isn't my choice of martial art at all. I'm sure there is a "real" form of TKD that teaches good self-defense, but with all the McTKD dojo's out there, it's extremely hard to tell what is good. I, for one, have yet to meet a TKD practioner that does the real stuff.

Just kick 'em, they'll understand.- Me

Apprentice Instructor under Guro Inosanto in Jun Fan Gung Fu and Filipinno Martial arts.

Certified Instructor of Frank Cucci's Linxx system of martial arts.

one of the reasons thaiboxerken, that you may be having trouble finding impressive taekwondo practioners .is that you are running into the type of practioners that i mention in "fries with that" post..also please be openminded and realize that it is probably happening with alot of martial arts branches including thai boxing.....

Javier l Rosario

instructor taekwondo/hapkido

under master Atef s Himaya

"whenever youre lazy enough not to train .someone, somewhere is training very hard to kick your *"

TKD is good, but i would prefer to do and have done HapKiDo which is also a Korean art... It's just more street wise and realistic to me.

Angus :karate: :up:

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear.

I had heard that the WTF teaches the watered down sport version of TKD and that the ITF teaches the "real" combat version. I will bet that the WTF people will argue this, but I do see alot of WTF people that can't fight anywhere except in TKD tournaments.

Just kick 'em, they'll understand.- Me

Apprentice Instructor under Guro Inosanto in Jun Fan Gung Fu and Filipinno Martial arts.

Certified Instructor of Frank Cucci's Linxx system of martial arts.

THIS IS ALSO ANOTHER PROBLEM THAT HURTS OUR PROGRESS IN MARTIAL ARTS...NOT ONLY DO WE HAVE DIFFERENCES WITH OTHER MARTIAL ARTS STYLES BUT WITHIN OUR OWN ORGANIZATIONS!!! SO MUCH DEBATING AND POLITICS INVOLVED. WE ARE ALL MARTIAL ARTIST "CANT WE ALL JUST GET ALONG?"

Javier l Rosario

instructor taekwondo/hapkido

under master Atef s Himaya

"whenever youre lazy enough not to train .someone, somewhere is training very hard to kick your *"