• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The Mount and the back! Is it harder to maintain than side?

Your favourite position to attack from  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Your favourite position to attack from

• The Mount
    • The side

I agree with tjs. If it's mma then the mount is the best because of the striking. I have Mike Van Arsdale dominate a match from side control but most mma guy's love the mount.

As for grappling tournaments I guess the mount would be good. I know bjj guys who are very effective form that position. Judo guys usually are pretty strong from side control side control because it is usually where they try to end up after completing a throw.

Tapped out, knocked out, or choked out...Take your pick.

http://jujitsu4u.com/

http://www.combatwrestling.com/

http://gokor.com/

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hear what U guys r saying. I always go for the mount and try to defend against it because I eventually want to try MMA. BUT, right now I can't seem to finish from these positions because people don't freeze in these but move like maniacs and pure strength can block a lot of submissions. I am looking for simple strategies and decoys that will let me utilise these positions to finish :P

Donkey

Ok,

Mount: Use your body, don't try to force his arms out of position with yours, drive your hips into him and use your weight to get his arms up and out of position, keep everything really tight and ride really high, knees in his armpits.

What you sant to do is "squish" his armto his face, reach around behind his head and grab his wrist... kinda like if he where trying to rear naked choke himself. Once you got it pull it tight and sit up.

This isn't a finish, but it sets up a few really nicely and is a good first step, It will lead to key locks, arm bars, arm triangles, taking the back and more. But don't worry about those yet, just focus on getting the set up.

Getting the set up is the key to any attack, far too many people like to skip that and try to go straight for the finish. They get easily escaped and reversed...

Andrew Green

http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem with my mount, every time i went for a kimura i would get reversed. When your slow and your weight futher to one side or you have an arm undertheir head you can get flipped pritty easy. I took a purple belts advice to go for the chokes or set up an armbar untill i get more experience with my mount. What worked best for me up till know was to get head and arm control and put my chest over their head using my head and knees to base and just smuther them. They buck them selves to exaustion then just tap.

I find that getting into side control from most takedowns is easier than the mount. It also (at least for me) is way stronger, so I usually get to side control and get my bearings on the opponenet's body. I am a female and usually fight guys my weight and heavier, so they are usually strong enough to get out of my mount if I stay there too long.

After securing side control, I often get into the mount while going for a collar choke. Most people defend pretty well against that choke, but while they are occupied with all that choke defending, I like to begin a strait arm bar or americana.

Also, when I do this, my mount isnt the low, posture back mount that is safer- I stay high on thier chest with my knees out for stability and my feet in their sides to prevent them from creating space and shrimping. Since, when they bridge, their hips are what travels the farthest from the ground (and thus, the closer I am to their hips the farthest I get from the ground), the bridging/bumping motion isnt as useful to them.

Another advantage is that I have to reach over a much shorter distance to apply my armbars/chokes and so the oponent doesnt see them comming as early. Anyway, it only works for me if I keep them busy and work quickly.

Oh, and beware them blocking one leg and flipping you (this position's biggest weakness)

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu

I lied- I just got down and tried what I typed, and really my knees are in the armpits, not out

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu

I have really no problem getting to the mount, its just that my submissions and ballance is far weaker from the mount than the wrestliers side mount. There I have greater body control of me and my partner and can react to escapes faster. Also I feel their are more controlable submissions from the side than the full mount. That it is a stronger postion if it is a pure submission contest no strikes.

marie, I usually go for mount and keep my hips by thre hips, chest on them, legs hooking theirs to push them away so they can't bridge and roll. One hand uner the head the other posted out with my head down I do this to stable the postion for a bit then I go to a higher mount like you said.

Knee's in the arm pits or if they bring an elbow up to block a choke my knee by there shoulder staying tight so they can't bring the elbow down since my knee and hips keep it wedged between me and there body they can't put the elbow to the ground with out moving first.

I usually don't go for america or bent arm bars from mount. I go for choke or staight arm bars.