• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

kya!

I am usually really shy about making "kya's" and other vocal noises when I'm in the Kwoon, simply because I am naturally a rather silent person. My Sifu always gets mad at me for that, saying that I have to release my tension and energy in that "kya" in order to gain more force. He always says:

"That squeal is just so terrifying. Make me shake in fear! You have to intimidate your opponent!"

Anyone else feel strange making "kya's", or am I the only one?

Pride is best evident when only you know...

-the motto of my Kwoon

"You only stop when you are dead..."

-My incredible Sifu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I do too. I have been training for 5 years. NO ONE can make me kiyap unless I feel the need to (a signal for one steps, ect). I just figured out how to breath sharply so I don't have to (same effect as a kihap, for me anyways). I don't kihap when I break. I still break. I don't kihap when I kick an air shield and I still kick the other person across the dojang ... so why make noise if I can do it with the right danjun breathing and good technique??? LOL

Laurie F

I like the"Kiai" , but some guys in our dojo don't , I feel sorry for them cause it really helps you when ur tired

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike

The kiai is a force of its own you are supposidly be able to deafet your oponent with your kiai. I dont know why but i sort of switch into a different mood when im in the dojo. Everyone is doing the same thing as you so i just kiai with full effort.

The key to everything is continuity achieved by discipline.

I grew up with Kiai’s and Kiyaps, so they are very natural to me. Sometimes I have entire conversations in this language!

When I was just a kid, the Instructor would go outside and then the assistant Instructor would have us each Kiai one at a time. If the Instructor outside couldn’t hear us, we weren’t loud enough and would have to keep on until he could hear us. I haven’t always been comfortable with making these ‘noises’ but now I don’t have a problem with it.

Try not to be so vocal, and let it come from your belly or chest. This might help you.

I agree with all of you, simply because I can do some things without making a "Kya", and yet I find the need to vocalize this powerful expression when I feel like I'm about to fall over from exhaustion.

Today, for example, at my Kwoon, my Sifu was drilling us for over an hour strait. Form after form after form - and still I was hesitant to Kya. But...when I came close to simply giving out, I decided to try it out and it really did help me! It felt as if making that sound somehow gave me new strength!

Please keep sharing your opinions! I love to hear from you guys! We are - in a way - kindred warriors lol. :karate:

Pride is best evident when only you know...

-the motto of my Kwoon

"You only stop when you are dead..."

-My incredible Sifu

Man i luv kiai!!!!!! it makes me wanna work harder specially when people in class are all doing kiai REALLY loud it make is motiviational..LUV IT!

JUST TRAIN

Student of the Han Method

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's allready tomorrow in Australia" Charles Schultz

https://www.YounWha.com

i don't care about kiai anymore, it's a joke, if i focus correctly and put my body weight behind my strike there is sgort sound like "hah" this helps to increase power by dropping the weigh of upper body down, screeming kiai is just a waste of energy and a disturbance to proper breathing, i have seen people kiai in every step , or some realy screem the word "kiai",

It's natural to make a non-sensical sound when you're happy or sad. When something good happens most people go make a woo-hoo or something like that. When you're scared or sad for some reason you'll sob or yell. If you force kiais I don't think it works, but at the end of a kata that you felt you did pretty well at it feels natural to yell.

"Don't tell me what I can't do."