• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Alcohol and martial arts

JimmyNewton

I would blush, but i kinda forgot how. :P

Yes, that is another reason i do not drink anymore. I truly despise the feeling of losing some of my motor control. In many ways, being even mildly intoxicated makes me feel a little... insecure.

It takes the edge out of my edge.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

DKizzle wrote:

Yeah, I absolutely refuse to allow myself to lose any of my reflexes or judgement or whatever. That's a good way to end up in a bad position.

The way some people seem to talk it's as if you'll be attacked 100 times a year. Fact is, unless you live in the worst neighbourhoods in the world many will never face a threatning confrontation ever and even less a life or death situation. So those who put the red light on enjoyable things (no matter what those things are) in life for fear of such a situation to happen might miss some fun moments. If you choose not to drink, great for you, but I hope the reason is a more valid one than the one of being on guard all the time with 100% of your reflexes ready for action. You guys will die from stress!! :wink: You should learn to relax a bit.

There is plenty of documentation presented in medical reports that show that although alcohol consumption can present a short period of relaxation, this is countered upon the the sobering period, in which your stress levels are elevated and you end up 'worse off' than when you first started.

So the idea of using alcohol to relax... is counterproductive.

As to whether incidents will happen or not, as i indicated earlier, i've been struck by drunk drivers multiple times. The fact alcohol impedes judgement and reduces motor control also increases the likelihood an intoxicated person will get himself into some sort of trouble (bar fight, etc), or get behind the wheel and create trouble for someone else.

So, as it is the goal of many martial artists to avoid unnecessary problems, so should it be recognized that alcohol merely 'adds' to your problems, not detracts from them.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

lol on that note... i remember my dad telling me of this MA guy, who was really skilled and all that stuff. I looked at him now and i would have never known it was him, it was really sad actually.

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

DKizzle wrote:

Yeah, I absolutely refuse to allow myself to lose any of my reflexes or judgement or whatever. That's a good way to end up in a bad position.

The way some people seem to talk it's as if you'll be attacked 100 times a year. Fact is, unless you live in the worst neighbourhoods in the world many will never face a threatning confrontation ever and even less a life or death situation. So those who put the red light on enjoyable things (no matter what those things are) in life for fear of such a situation to happen might miss some fun moments. If you choose not to drink, great for you, but I hope the reason is a more valid one than the one of being on guard all the time with 100% of your reflexes ready for action. You guys will die from stress!! :wink: You should learn to relax a bit.

I do relax. In fact, I preach that very message about the need to relax instead of getting worked up about stupid things (like 10 question fill in the blank quizzes, which some of my friends stay up all night studying for). Or, better yet, never getting worked up over anything. But you don't need alcohol to relax. Alcohol is for people who can't handle reality or want to escape it.

It affects your judgment and reflexes no matter what. It's not just in preparation for a fight. I can't stand loss of control of my own body.

Drinking is horrible for dieting, so I stay away from any type of alcohol. When I use to drink, I would never drive. It only takes one time, and your life is ruined. I know most people are going to think differently of me when I say this, but I feel no pity, but relieved when I hear that a drunk driver killed themself, and not someone else in an auto accident. Yes, it's sad but if that person wants to be a moron, and get behind the wheel, and take their own life, that's up to them. It's when they're fine, but they kill someone else (a child, someones loved one, YOUR loved one). Personally, I think the world would be a better place without the stuff. My opinion, and 0.2 cents.

I don't have to be the best, just better than you!

Working towards 11% BF and a Six pack

Well I agree with everything you say except about how alcohol should be abolished from the world. Not everyone drives drunk or acts stupid while drinking. Yes some do, and that's sad, but many others, like myself, can enjoy a drink or two and take it easy during that period :wink: