• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Alcohol and martial arts

JimmyNewton

after reading gichin funakoshi's biograghy, I realize that many old masters from okinawa (itsou, azato) enjoyed geeting quite drunk. itsou used to get drunk and let people punch him as hard as they could.

As for me, me and my students go out and have a drink ater class sometimes.

You can become a great fighter without ever becoming a martial artist, but no sir, you can not become a great martial artist with out becoming a great fighter. To fight is most certainly not the aim of any true martial art, but they are fighting arts all the same. As martial artists, we must stand ready to fight, even if hoping that such conflict never comes.

-My response to a fellow instructor, in a friendly debate

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with Steve_K over Makato. Everyone loves to think that what they do should have nothing to do with other people and "How dare you judge me and tell me what to do!" Well, what you do effects all of us, whether it be in a small or big way.

"Don't tell me what I can't do."

My personal choice is not to drink, I do not see any benefit in my life from it. However, that said, I have no issue or comment to those that choose to.

I do have strong prohibitions against anyone drinking prior to coming to class. But what they do after class is up to them.

I'm with Steve_K over Makato. Everyone loves to think that what they do should have nothing to do with other people and "How dare you judge me and tell me what to do!" Well, what you do effects all of us, whether it be in a small or big way.

So you dont want to be told to drink - then what right does anyone else have to tell others NOT to drink?

Peoples non-drinking affects drinkers as well!

"The ultimate aim of karate lies not in victory or defeat, but in the perfection of the character of its participants." --- Master Gichin Funakoshi

So you dont want to be told to drink - then what right does anyone else have to tell others NOT to drink?

Getting drunk=Temporarily loosing senses, loosing senses=harming others and yourself

Well that’s a first .. Explain

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike

Yes, I would like to know that too. As a non-drinker out of choice, I have often found that many other non-drinkers including myself are made to feel as if they are spoiling the atmosphere. In my opinion, the atmosphere is already spoiled when your friends are reduced to dithering drunkards, who are so off their face that everything in life is funny (except when they puke on themselves and ask their parents for a lift home). Drinking is fine, how much is too much really depends on the persons constitution. Only when you get to the point where you could hurt yourself or someone else is it a very serious matter. I know people whose sense of social fun thrives on the presence of alcohol and their intention is to get totally drunk first. I can understand why if one person does not partake in the ritual, it may spoil fun for drinkers. This is probaly why it's better to compromise on outings with your mates.

With regards to martial arts, it's probably best to consult a sport's therapist or dietician/nutritionist. When ethanol (alcoholic part of the beverage) is consumed, some brain cells are killed, and some parts of the liver are destroyed (actually they hepatocytes shape changes, so metabolism and blood flow are less efficient). This occurs with each drink, albeit on a rather minute scale. However, if you are particular in keep your body away from any internal damage, it may be better to stay away from alcohol. Aside from what I have mentioned (which is just an apparent statement), there do not seem to be many life-long advantages. The breakdown of acetate groups away from other compounds synthesised in the liver also promote the release and deposition of fatty acids, which are deposited locally (causing the presence of a beer gut, depending on how much you drink). I chose not to drink purely because from what I saw, the costs far outweighed the benefits. However, what you do is up to you. I'm sure there are other people who can highlight the advantages of alcohol over other drinks, but I cannot seem to find many, except from what I previously posted. And that was only an apparent reading again.

In conclusion, if your training to be a great fighter, it may be best to stay away from the booze entirely. It will help you maintain weight, and keep your intestines free of any toxins. Alcohol however, has been shown to help cut water weight by dehydradtion, as Frank Trigg has stated. In effect, it maybe depends upon the ratio in which you choose when and when not to drink. Personally, I would stay away from it. But that doesnt mean everyone else has to.

Here's an intersting article:

http://nootropics.com/smartdrinks/

Just one glass a week though. As the article states, drunkness negates the positive effects.

http://nutrition.tufts.edu/magazine/2003fall/alcohol2.html

Another article, which details some of the disadvantages.

Perfect Practice makes Perfect.

Getting drunk=Temporarily loosing senses, loosing senses=harming others and yourself

Not always, I do not think speaking in absolutes is productive at all.

Getting drunk=having fun=making friends, can be a result of drinking.

There are a nunber of situations that can occur when getting drunk, some good some bad. Some of you guys are just trying to exploit only the bad to try and make an argument, one that is not very strong in the first place.

If there were stats on how many people get drunk and how many cause harm to others while drunk, I think your arguments would be very weak indeed.

Not all people who drink get into fights, have accidents, cause accidents, impose themselves on other. I would say the majority of people who drink do not make a habit out such things. I think you guys are arguing a very weak point.

Because I said so, and I am that damn good.

i sincerely appreciate the feedback here.

I assumed some of the "masters" would have some drinks.

I liked hearing about itosu getting drunka nd letting people hit him. i do agree with the thought that its not the drinking that is a problem, but the behavior while drunk. however, people can be stupid with or without alchohol..that part is up the individual. if anyone has any more stories about the Old guys drinking, please share...i find them interesting. thanks again.

"The wise and successsful will always be met with violent opposition by mediocre minds."

How does my having a few drinjks and dancing on tables affect people? I dont fall on them. I dont spill my drinks on them. I make them laugh with/at me. Losing senses means a numbing of stress thereby imbiding me with a sense of happiness and a "devil may care" attitude. I dont pick fights. If anything I stop them.

Well that’s a first .. Explain

Because non-drinkers who espouse on and on about the evils of drink are frigging BORING. I put them on par with people who try to convert you to their religion. If their advice about the demon drink was wanted it would be asked for.

"The ultimate aim of karate lies not in victory or defeat, but in the perfection of the character of its participants." --- Master Gichin Funakoshi