• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Being hard on yourself... good or bad?

In part of my school's creed that we would sometimes recite at the end of lessons we would say, "I demand and expect more from myself than anyone can possibly imagine" and I think that's a good policy to take in martial arts training. Only by pushing yourself both mentally and physically can you really achieve.

"Try not to become a man of success, but a man of value." -- Albert Einstein

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or I get frustrated because I can't learn a tech right away.

Remember there is always more than one way to learn/apply a technique. In fact over this weekend when I was going over some self defense techniques with a buddy of mine, I realized that I did not like the way I learned some of them back in the day, and had to make adjustments to them that worked better for me :wink:

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

My instructor always told me to "view myself with strict eyes". By adopting this mentality I am always mindful to do my honest effort in whatever that may be. It is not to beat myself up but to continually examine my motivation, and sincerity.

I know for sure I am hard on myself...and mr instructor is trying to get me out of it..and he's like gawsh! ur forms are perfect and your technique is perfect...what are you worrying about? i worry and think to much about my technique, and im a 2 keup also and im just so hard on myself..we have stuff in common Laurie in class i sometimes get SOOOO mad at myself if i make one mistake that i just cry..gawsh i cant help it!

JUST TRAIN

Student of the Han Method

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's allready tomorrow in Australia" Charles Schultz

https://www.YounWha.com

I believe there is a fine line between being hard on yourself and it being good and being hard on yourself and it being bad.

Sometimes if you are a hard on yourself it clouds the mind and other times it clears it and allows you to focus much more clearly.

shodan - Shotokan

Blue Belt - Jiu-Jitsu

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care the themself without that law is both. For wounded man shall say to his assailant, if I live I will kill you, If I die you are forgiven-- such is the rule of Honor.

If you seek it you cant find it. You just need to stop caring whether you become good or not and just work to become better but not relaly caring. Thats really badly stated (kinda) but yeah.....Its liek the concept no mind or mushin.

Focus