• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How important is Ch'i?

I thought for a long time about this, and began to wonder:

How important is the implimintation of Ch'i into your hits when you are fighting? I understand very well that it is crutial, but how can you possibly channel any sort of energy into your hits when you are sparring in a fast pace?

What are your thoughts?

Pride is best evident when only you know...

-the motto of my Kwoon

"You only stop when you are dead..."

-My incredible Sifu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you diligently train in your style, you will be dangerous to your opponent with or without using chi. What is "chi" to you that makes you ask whether or not you need it?

All Shaolin monks channeled their Chi (spiritual energy) in order to gain strength and a deeper understanding of their religion. I believe in the ability to harness this energy in order to produce more focus and a more forceful hit.

The monks apparently put in this energy while they fought, and that was partially why they were so successful. I was wondering how in the world you can focus on concentrating Chi into your limbs or even your body to be more successful in your attacks and defensewhile fighting at such high speeds as most sparrs tend to go.

Thank you for you help in my other post as well, Sir! :nod:

-the motto of my Kwoon

-My incredible Sifu

well at a certain point you dont have to 'charge' each limb you just tap into it with your mind and then it flows where you need it when you need it, doesnt matter how fast your moving, but thats hard to achieve

Chi, at my level of understanding, seems nothing more to me than good body structure. From this good body structure one is able to do amazing feats such as remaining rooted, uprooting an opponent, or push people very far with seemingly little motion and energy at the point of contact. Consider rooting. How does you learn to root yourself? By training the horse dilegently and listening to your sifu. Eventually, with the help of your sifu, something will click and you will understand a certain aspect or detail of your style. Those who have mastered a style understand all its fundamentals and details.

There is a lot of sense in what you are saying, giang_hu. Stance is very important - especially bow and horse stance.

I also agree with viskous about the difficulty of achieving such a level of control over your energy.

In a way, I suppose that Chi is everything: stance, experience, and also...well...Chi.

I read that children were chosen into the Shaolin by their spiritual potential. Do you believe that such a potential could be a determining factor in one's ability to fight?

Also, do any of you actually feel the Chi when you fight or train? I'm curious as to your points of view.

-the motto of my Kwoon

-My incredible Sifu

No one is "chosen into the Shaolin". If you want to learn, you go out and learn. No one is going to stop you. A sifu will not ask people to learn from him. If someone wants to learn from a sifu, then the sifu will teach. Not everyone is the same, but I believe spiritually, everyone has the same potential.

No one is "chosen into the Shaolin". If you want to learn, you go out and learn. No one is going to stop you. A sifu will not ask people to learn from him. If someone wants to learn from a sifu, then the sifu will teach. Not everyone is the same, but I believe spiritually, everyone has the same potential.

The will to learn is probably what could be considered the equivalent of spiritual potential...in the past that is. I'm still pretty sure that Chi is important. As is breathing and meditation. That's just me though... :nod:

-the motto of my Kwoon

-My incredible Sifu