• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Traditional Wing Chun versus Modern

Well I've learned some things from other styles, but a lot of them aren't that great for use in my style or any situation.Example: crescent kick,I don't know if it's just me or what , but this kick is way to slow and can be seen coming from a mile away.

https://www.samuraimartialsports.com for your source of Karate,Kobudo,Aikido,And Kung-Fu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I've learned some things from other styles, but a lot of them aren't that great for use in my style or any situation.Example: crescent kick,I don't know if it's just me or what , but this kick is way to slow and can be seen coming from a mile away.

forget about it being slow... have u ever hit that kick against something solid?

it can mess up your knee bad...

<> Be humble, train hard, fight dirty

forget about it being slow... have u ever hit that kick against something solid?

it can mess up your knee bad...

hmmm no , just my punching bag, but I'll take your advice.I need to protect my knees.
https://www.samuraimartialsports.com for your source of Karate,Kobudo,Aikido,And Kung-Fu

Inside crescent kick can be effective and safe (swingiing waist, slightly bent knee, striking with ball of foot or bottom of foot or side of foot).

Outside crescent, I would have to agree with what both of you said.

Even the inside crescent is well telegraphed.

:)

Current:Head Instructor - ShoNaibuDo - TCM/Taijiquan/Chinese Boxing Instructor

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

Be at peace, and share peace with others...

I agree.

The sad part is that crescent kicks are used offensively, but are truly meant to be effective in deflecting low kicks.

However, as a youth, I disagreed with my Goju Ryu Sensei with they tried to show it as a defense against a knife attack. They teach the same if TKD as well.

The kick itself is not good above waist level.

Current:Head Instructor - ShoNaibuDo - TCM/Taijiquan/Chinese Boxing Instructor

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

Be at peace, and share peace with others...

I agree.

The sad part is that crescent kicks are used offensively, but are truly meant to be effective in deflecting low kicks.

However, as a youth, I disagreed with my Goju Ryu Sensei with they tried to show it as a defense against a knife attack. They teach the same if TKD as well.

The kick itself is not good above waist level.

actually i saw Hapkido people using them for knife defense as well, seems that , as well as TKD, they figure if the knife is not too close to the body it would be easy to kick off the hand of the attacker.

I, for one, wouldnt try to get as close to my attacker with that particular kick- if you miss, you are wide open to attack.

<> Be humble, train hard, fight dirty