• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Traditional Wing Chun versus Modern

Change is good, as long as it is necessary. If a technique works, there is no need to modify it. I say stick to tradition until tradition stops working.

The only thing for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"they wont throw hooks because its the weakest kind of punch you can throw at them"

hook punches are not weak at all unless you don't know how to do them.they do take longer than the other punches , but they are very powerfull.

https://www.samuraimartialsports.com for your source of Karate,Kobudo,Aikido,And Kung-Fu

"they wont throw hooks because its the weakest kind of punch you can throw at them"

hook punches are not weak at all unless you don't know how to do them.they do take longer than the other punches , but they are very powerfull.

the weakest punch you can throw at them - I meant wing chun practitioners.

Understand that their style is designed to not waste space nor time in a fight, so if you throw one of these punches at them(hooks) you wont just miss or be redirected, you will be trapped in a current of deflecting and striking blows which are triggered by your movement.

Once this happens, you have risked being hit more than 3 times in order to try to land one punch

<> Be humble, train hard, fight dirty

Well, I found a reliable ride there, took it up again. I brought the kid who was talking about it with me, here are the things he noted:

The particular style that this dojo practices involves a lot of pok sao and like exercises, focusing on the centerline "drive", he talked about the "drum" techniques, instead of attacking or driving the center he was taught to control it through swiping movements and open it to attack. Also, Sifu Tom Tomlinson noticed that his style incorporated a lot of "dancing around the opponent", or "unnecessary trapping movements".

I don't remember the names of the individual branches he noted, but he said they were fundementally different, but did not say that his was "modern", he actually seems to think that my friend's style isn't as true to roots, because Sifu Tomlinson trained under the youngest son of Yip Man, who holds true to the direct rooted past of Wing Chun.

"They look up, without realizing they're standing in the palm of your hand"

"I burn alive to keep you warm"

"in my style we throw hooks too, but I have learned they are not too reliable against certain styles, one of them being wing chun"

What other styles?

hapkido, sees this opening to throw you to the ground.

(other korean arts are so swift, throwing an open punch to the face leaves an opening for a kick to the ribs)

judo- you better be really fast at taking your arm back after a hook or they will use it as leverage to take you down.

kenpo- will hurt the arm if the punch is slow enough, after being hit in certain areas, the arm wont be of much use in the fight.

this is all debatable to situations though :karate:

After a certain level of mastery in a style, there is the tendency to throw your own expression into it. For example, my sigong will throw a hook!? Get it? "Martial ARTS"?

I'm not saying it cant be done, I'm saying traditionalist in WC wont throw hooks because they know the disadvantages to it and love the advantages of short powerful chinese punches.

your sigung wants to throw a hook, let him try it, and if it works, he'll teach you how to do it too.

i have friends who've influenced me on kicking the way sport tae kown do kick. I dont kick that way, and I dont see any other kajukenbo kick that way.

just because something CAN work doesnt mean you incorporate it right away into your martial art; you are free however, to add it to your fighting style(you fight however you want to fight).