• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Traditional Wing Chun versus Modern

I was taking Wing Chun for a while, but kinda stopped because of the distance from where I live. I have a friend who's dad teaches him Wing Chun, but when he watched a class of mine, he said it was too "modern" and ineffective in a serious situation. What're the differences?

"They look up, without realizing they're standing in the palm of your hand"

"I burn alive to keep you warm"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like every style, Wing Chun itself is evolving. Every person who learns a style adds his or her own flavor to it. I know some good Wing Chun practitioners that can throw hooks. That's pretty weird. No one will ever know the original Wing Chun (supposedly) developed by Ng Mui. As long as it works, use it!

I was taking Wing Chun for a while, but kinda stopped because of the distance from where I live. I have a friend who's dad teaches him Wing Chun, but when he watched a class of mine, he said it was too "modern" and ineffective in a serious situation. What're the differences?

Too "modern" I have no idea by what he means..if WCK is practiced correctly by the principles it was founded on it should be very effective..

http://www.youtube.com/user/sifumcilwrath

"When the student is ready the master will appear"

i also have no idea of what he meaned 'modern' :roll:

Time would crush all pains.

Posted: Fri 07 Oct, 2005 Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

what does he mean by too modern?Isn't all your wing chun hundreds of years old?

WCK is hundreds of years old but its a living breathing art.It continues to evolve and change.Its not the same art as it was 100 yrs ago.In another 100 yrs it will be very different then it is now.If a fighting art is to stay relevent it must change.

http://www.youtube.com/user/sifumcilwrath

"When the student is ready the master will appear"

Posted: Fri 07 Oct, 2005 Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

what does he mean by too modern?Isn't all your wing chun hundreds of years old?

WCK is hundreds of years old but its a living breathing art.It continues to evolve and change.Its not the same art as it was 100 yrs ago.In another 100 yrs it will be very different then it is now.If a fighting art is to stay relevent it must change.

that's true,but in the martial arts a lot of people don't like to see change.
https://www.samuraimartialsports.com for your source of Karate,Kobudo,Aikido,And Kung-Fu

well, I think that he meant it had a lot of stuff that wasnt taught traditionally, I guess.

Depending on what I saw would I say if its effective or not, but with Wing Chun it is a safe bet to say; tradition works well.

<> Be humble, train hard, fight dirty

Like every style, Wing Chun itself is evolving. Every person who learns a style adds his or her own flavor to it. I know some good Wing Chun practitioners that can throw hooks. That's pretty weird. No one will ever know the original Wing Chun (supposedly) developed by Ng Mui. As long as it works, use it!

if they are good wing chun practitioners, they wont throw hooks because its the weakest kind of punch you can throw at them(fastest way for them to get to you and win the fight). Besides, in their practice they recommend strong short punches in front of the body- never from the side.

<> Be humble, train hard, fight dirty