• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

wat is the belt order for shotokan??

JKDkid2

In my old Shotokan school the belts were white, yellow, blue, purple, brown, and black

But in the new schhoool im in there are all these different color belts can anyone tell my there belt order in shotokan karate??

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I thought that most Shotokan schools kept the white, brown, black belt system. Who is the largest Shotokan-affliated organization and what do they use?

Kyokushin Karate of Los Angeles @ http://www.kyokushinla.com

"Humility is not thinking less of yourself. It is thinking about yourself less."

The belt colors vary from school to school and association to association. There is no such thing as a "Shotokan Belt System."

Typically belts get darker as you move up the ranks.

White-green-brown-black is pretty basic.

Some schools throw a blue or purple belt after the green.

Some schools throw in an additional yellow belt after white.

Some throw in an orange belt after the yellow.

Whatever the system, it doesnt really matter or mean anything except to you and your own sense of accomplishment. Try not to think about it and enjoy yourself. There are so many other great battles to pick that you can fight with karate organizations - this one is not worth it - though it is philosophically entertaining to discuss possible motivation for having so many pretty belts.

Another thing to consider is that whether the school/org uses more or less colors in their belt scheme is what is the numerical rank which a beginner starts. Do they start at 10th kyu, 9th, 7th? or what? This could affect the "color spectrum". :)

Another thing to consider is that whether the school/org uses more or less colors in their belt scheme is what is the numerical rank which a beginner starts. Do they start at 10th kyu, 9th, 7th? or what? This could affect the "color spectrum". :)

The thing that seems to affect the color spectrum the most is whether or not the instructor makes a profit from sales of belts. LOL!

It really depends on your association I have seen several differant for each of the major groups.

More so than that it is up the sensei at any given school he may change or add or combine color belts as he or she see's fit.

The realy question in Kyu grades most shotokan schools I have been arround do 8 kyu grades before black. I have saw 10 and 12.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

Every place I have trained at goes something like this:

noobie

9th kyu - white (some require grading for white)

8th kyu - yellow

7th kyu - orange

6th kyu - green

5th kyu - blue

4th kyu - blue (I wore a purple belt and got funny looks)

3rd kyu - brown

2nd kyu - brown

1st kyu - brown

1st dan - black

2nd dan - should be black but must wear something more like grey and smelly

> 3rd dan - probably whitish with black spots :)

Life is not measure in how many breaths you take, but many moments take your breath away

The association i'm in is JSKA KarateDo and all the belts they have are:

white, yellow,organge,blue,green,brown,purple, black anyone similar colors?