• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Thoughs on Wado Ryu

Why_Worry

hey so what makes your styles blocks so unique to other karate styles?

We not so much block, as evade and deflect. A lot of times we use the term Wedge, in my classes, to describe a block. The purpose of a block, in my limited wado knowledge, is for added protection against a technique, if we our evasion of the technique fails or goes awry. With the Wado, I am studying, everything is done with minimal strength, and minimal effort, the emphasis is to evade and attack, all in one motion, not in a one-two combination.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Goju..no our blocks are pretty linear in nature. In fact the only thing that I can think of that has any sort of Circular morion is it is our reverse punch stance, whil moving forward, we open up, do a little half moon step, and then the reverse punch. So from the limited experience I have with my style...it is pretty linear.

We do however, have of moves involving Nagashi, or moving diagonally off line...so if a punch is coming in, we move our hips, and our bodies, off line, while keeping our front foot in the same spot, the back foot follows the hip and plants, as our wedge/Block and counterattack land.

"We do however, have of moves involving Nagashi, or moving diagonally off line...so if a punch is coming in, we move our hips, and our bodies, off line, while keeping our front foot in the same spot, the back foot follows the hip and plants, as our wedge/Block and counterattack land."

we do that too . but my instructor calls it tai sabaki or something like that.

https://www.samuraimartialsports.com for your source of Karate,Kobudo,Aikido,And Kung-Fu