• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Thoughs on Wado Ryu

Why_Worry

Hey. I jsut havent been able to find anything about Wado Ryu karate so i fgiured i would make a new topic about it.

I just felt liek talking about a style i practice so i was just curious as to what everyones thoughts about wado ryu karate.

Focus

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is a good page of information on Wado Ryu karate: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wado_Ryu

My Nidan Grading! Check it Out: http://www.karateforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=27140

OSU!

"Behind each triumph are new peaks to be conquered." - Mas Oyama

Dojo Kun:http://www.diegobeltran.com/htms/dojo/dojokun.htm

https://www.kyokushinkarate.cjb.net

lol, no i know about wado ryu, but i want to find somewhere to discuss it sinc ei havent seen anyone on this whole forum yet who also practices it

Oh, but also, anyone is welcome to come here and just give opinions.

Edited by Why_Worry

Focus

Hey, I just found this forum today. Looks pretty good!

I have done Wado Ryu since I was 8, so I'd be happy to try answer any questions you have.

I like the fact that there are many kata's, I enjoy trying to figure out and find new bunkai for the kata's. Plus our sylabus isnt restricted to just techniques and kata, the higher kyu grades have to show knowledge of such things as bone dislocations, immobilising holds, knife and stick defences and more

Doing the bull dance, feeling the groove, working it, working it!

Yeah, like wher ei go, for each belt rank you have to do something different, like orange belt is you hav eto become more aware (because your not completely ware by that level) and or with like green belt you need to get power in your techniques. (i dont know anything about the higher kyu rankings though).

Focus

The bigest schools my area are wado ryu, so they've kinda jaded me on it. I know it's not a good representation of the style tho. Just that when I hear it, I think commercial mcdojo becuse of my experience. I'd love to meet a good wado school just so I can have a different experience to rely on. My favorite of these is "Bill Taylor's Bushido School Of Karate" here in town. He teaches wadoryu, but constantly refers to his school as a dojang (korean word for dojo)

But I really want to meet a good school, I hate that the style is so poorly represented in my area.

You can become a great fighter without ever becoming a martial artist, but no sir, you can not become a great martial artist with out becoming a great fighter. To fight is most certainly not the aim of any true martial art, but they are fighting arts all the same. As martial artists, we must stand ready to fight, even if hoping that such conflict never comes.

-My response to a fellow instructor, in a friendly debate

wado ryu= too many katas

lol Hey, if you come to my school you have to know 2 at purple & brown, 3 at red & black for a total of 14 kata, then there's another 3 up to godan, for 25 total. That includes bunkai for every one. :D now that's too many kata

You can become a great fighter without ever becoming a martial artist, but no sir, you can not become a great martial artist with out becoming a great fighter. To fight is most certainly not the aim of any true martial art, but they are fighting arts all the same. As martial artists, we must stand ready to fight, even if hoping that such conflict never comes.

-My response to a fellow instructor, in a friendly debate