• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

ok, im 17 years old, 6'2 and in very good shape. ive been doing boxing for over a year, and been actively excersising, cardio and weight, and free weight, for a few years. anyway, ive never realy trained with my legs and am wondering how to defend against a guy who likes to "kick low"... should i just go aggresively at him, or take a different aprouch? thx

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Don't hesitate, get in and assail him with a barrage of clinch-applicable strikes. Keep him close and tight. Attempting to counter his leg attacks, without having appropriate training, will merely get you hurt.

The best solution is for you to study a system that applies low-kicks, so you can become familiar with the delivery, and thus become familiar with how to counter said delivery.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

• 3 weeks later...

I had the same problem when I converted to kickboxing. I adapted a Muay Thai stance while in kicking range. The boxing stance is 60% on your lead leg and 40% on your rear. The Muay Thai is the opposite with 40% on the front and 60% on the rear, and the rear toe is pointed at a 45% angle from my opponent instead of at him. What this does is to let you lift your lead leg with ease to block a kick. In doing so I found a perfect strategy. I actually like them to attack my leg (I try to bait them now). The reason is because after I check thier kick I step forward right into (you guessed it) punching range. It's the same as stepping forward as you throw the jab.

I learned this the hard way, because in my first exibition, I had my lead leg immoblized by a good leg kick, while in the boxing stance. It took away my offense and my defense. In short, IT REALLY SUCKED. But anyhow, that's my advise.

Justfulwardog

By daily dying I have come to be. ~Theodore Roethke

Each forward step we take we leave some phantom of ourselves behind. ~John Lancaster Spalding

Unless some one is Kneeing you the power of the kick is at the foot so if you move in close and "Box" him in the face

i also like Justfulwardog's idea

White belt for life

"Destroy the enemies power but leave his life"

The muay thai roundhouse kick is more versatile (albeit slower to implement), and the foot is not the point of impact. It is from the shin all the way up to the thigh, depending on whether your opponent moves in or not.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

• 1 month later...

Jam him and get in close and keep the punches coming like a machine gun, always moving forward, as long as you keep him on his heels, it will be harder for him to effetively kick you. Get in and get him into a clinch if possible and start tearing him up with some knee strikes of your own.

"You know the best thing about pain? It let's you know you're not dead yet!"

http://geshmacheyid.forumotion.com/f14-self-defense

Use Tai-Sabaki 'bodyshifting' stay close to him, moving to the outside of his attacking side, and jam him up! grab,clinch use knees, body punches, dont fight him straight on, move to the outside, it will throw him off balance when he trys to throw a hard low kick, shift fast when he throws, he will either lose some balance or have to 'set' himself again when he does attack and attack hard and fast!

Let see, you kick at a range...hmmm. Im gonna go with crowd him, so he cant get the kick in and he is forced to punch

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

Basically, whatever your chosen fighting style is (karate, TKD, BJJ, boxing, etc) you need to make the other person fight YOUR fight, not theirs. That's the key. If you're a boxer, get in close and box. If you're a karate person, use the skills you've learned. TKD, go for keeping your distance so you can use your kicks. BJJ, dive for the legs and get him on the ground.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

Basically, whatever your chosen fighting style is (karate, TKD, BJJ, boxing, etc) you need to make the other person fight YOUR fight, not theirs. That's the key. If you're a boxer, get in close and box. If you're a karate person, use the skills you've learned. TKD, go for keeping your distance so you can use your kicks. BJJ, dive for the legs and get him on the ground.

yeah, this is good advice. :karate:

I bet you wish you knew me now.