• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Maximising punch power

In Shotokan karate...

We don't have what you call a "cross punch", but I think this should be equivalent to what we have a "hook punch" (kagi zuki), where the punch is directed not to the front but to the side at right angles to the body, usually but not always where the lead foot is opposite to the punching arm/fist.

No, a cross punch is used in boxing and is a straight punch like the reverse. I know with a word like "cross" it sounds like a right angled punch but thats a hook (in boxing).

From Answers.com:

Cross punch is defined as "a hook thrown over an opponent's punch in boxing (in sports)". See http://www.answers.com/topic/cross

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, trust a website over people that actually train, watch and coach the stuff?

If you are responding to my previous quote, I'm just documenting a source from the Internet which in my view is quite authoritative, as I'm not an expert in boxing terms. Do you have any evidence that Answers.com is not a reliable or accurate authority in publishing definitions of such terms in their data base? I'm keeping an open mind on this. Kindly convince me.

Who are the people whom you say "actually train, watch and coach the stuff"? Please specify or indicate your documentary source.

A cross goes straight down the center off the rear leg.

Is this offered as a serious lexically correct definition of a "cross punch" or a joke? Please clarify and explain further.

This is something I wrote back in May on an unusual but effective and powerful punching method. I describe a drill for the reverse punch. This was also a discussion in a thread I started in May of the title, "A Different Kind of Punch":

http://www.karateforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=255510&highlight=#255510

I've pasted the first post below for convenience:

I took a visit to Shorin Ryuu's blog a few days ago and left a comment on his article "The Chambered Fist" (his response to the "re-action hand" thread: http://www.karateforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=20242) which described an unusual way of punching that I've been learning since November. Rather than whorde the knowledge to myself and those who read his blog, I figured I would share a description of it and hear your thoughts. I apologize for any errors in its description, and these errors are entirely my own.

I present for your edification my attempt at a description of "the Nakata gyakuzuki (reverse punch)", Nakata being the name of my instructor who is sort of notorious for his punch. His punching methodology is unlike any I've seen so far in my training with various instructors (and I've had the fortune of training with quite a few quality teachers). I describe the reverse punch since it is easiest to see and understand the mechanics of his methodology as compared to other types of punches (e.g., lead jab, uppercut, roundhouse/hook punch, etc.).

1.) Stand in a kihon stance (a shizentai/natural stance) and angle your body off slightly to whatever your target is. That is, don't stand with your hips and shoulders facing full front (the punch works standing full front, but it's easier to see the mechanics of his punch if you're angled off, and there other mechanics involved if you're facing full front). Make sure you have good posture (chin up!) and that your chest is flared (kinda like you're a body builder...). Make sure that the toes of your "lead" leg point forward and the toes of your "back" leg point out at 45 degrees (I use quotes in that in a natural stance there's barely a heel-to-toe difference between how much the "lead" leg leads).

2.) Extend the punching hand from chamber as if you were going to punch like normal from the waist (though it still works if you have your hands up in a ready position), but without turning the koshi...otherwise you hazusu (i.e., hand moves first...hips rotate last. If you rotate hips first and then extend your hand, you hazusu, or negate/deadlock your power). Do not rotate the fist yet. You should be palm up, and assuming you're angled off, your arm should be across your chest at your target. Keep your chest flared. Keep your wrists straight and locked (make sure they aren't bent outward too much or curled inward too much).

3.) When you rotate your fist, use your koshi at the same time (turn your hips as you rotate your fist) as if they were inseparable. When the koshi rotates, you bring your hara and weight forward, adding that extra umph! to that punch. Don't over-rotate. Rotate just enough that the hara is forward. Rotating too much throws your weight off at an angle, and you lose power.

Voila. The Nakata gyakuzuki. Obviously, when performed this should all be done smoothly and there are a ton of other things that go into it (keeping your chest flared, keeping your posture straight, keeping your chin up, using gamaku, rooting yourself with the outside edges of your feet, bringing hara forward, keeping a tight fist at all times if you plan on punching with a closed fist yet inhaling/relaxing all other muscles as you extend your punch, exhaling/contracting your muscles and accelerating your punch on contact, etc.). Rotation of the fist (and thus, the koshi) does not occur until right after impact, so on initial contact, you're actually hitting palm up with the koshi unturned. Rotating the fist and koshi drives the punch into and through the target for penetrating power. Nakata's punch has incredible penetration, and this is what made his punch so famous/unusual.

Try this punch on for size on a bag or a pad (or a person... ). If you do it right, you might be pleasantly surprised by the results. I've found it actually takes less effort to punch with the same amount of power than the old way I used to punch. The trick is doing the punch correctly - it has a very steep learning curve. But, once it is mastered, it is very effective. I speak from experience having been clocked by it...

This is exactly how my sensei has taught me. I thought this was the way everyone learned. :-?

"I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times." --Bruce Lee

Igm ,Andrew is correct on this one.I used to train in western kickboxing and that's a cross.Also if you want to further verify it start a new thread in the kickboxing area of the website so you can see that a cross is what andrew mentioned.

https://www.samuraimartialsports.com for your source of Karate,Kobudo,Aikido,And Kung-Fu

Do you have any evidence that Answers.com is not a reliable or accurate authority in publishing definitions of such terms in their data base? I'm keeping an open mind on this. Kindly convince me.

Also from Answers.com:

Martial Arts - Any of several Asian arts of combat or self-defense, such as aikido, karate, judo, or tae kwon do, usually practiced as sport. Often used in the plural.

I'd say there are some inaccuracies in there...

Andrew Green

http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!

That deffinition was pretty accurate (or at least by the general thought of a martial art being a fighting art ((and to some extent they all are pretty much))) and it said "such as" not "only these are martial arts". The only thing i see that is really wrong is that it said asian arts of combat or self defense because they dont have to be asian. IF what your looking for is a spiritual definition then remember that dictionaries arent really that correct and they state the obvious and you can get the detailed from the obvious.

Focus