• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, hand to hand is a very low priority for soliders

Speaking as a soldier (commissioned officer), I'm going to disagree with you. In basic training we're taught some stuff just to beat the tar out of each other and get tough. Later on down the line, however, we're required to learn hand-to-hand techniques for the "just-in-case-for-whatever-reason-you-don't-have-a-gun-in-your-hand" scenario. Yes, the techniques are laughably silly if you have any previous martial arts training, but it still gets serious attention. Granted, unless you're special forces, it doesn't get continuous attention, but the one time course you take is still pretty intense (or at least, my course was pretty intensive).

By the way, if you think our guys don't fight hand-to-hand anymore, think again. Read this:

http://michaelyon.blogspot.com/2005/08/gates-of-fire.html

If you don't want to read the whole thing, basically, some of our guys were stuck in a firefight in Mosul when they ran out of ammo. What happened? An Army CSM took it to the bad guys hand-to-hand and won.

Do you know who Chosin Chibana is...?

The Chibana Project:

http://chibanaproject.blogspot.com

why would the Americans bann something when it's not even their country?

Weaken Japanese Militarism and Nationalism.

Martial arts where a part of that, the whole Samurai idea of if you kill the guy, but die you still win and other such stuff.

Andrew Green

http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!

I remember seeing somthing on the news a couple of years ago, it was on the korean border and a few US soldiers got in an argument with a few Korean soldiers, it was over a petty disupte about a tree being cut down and it ending up with the Koreans killing the US soldiers in an unarmed fight, i'm guessing they were using tk.

"When my enemy contracts I expand and when he expands I contract" - Bruce Lee

No, hand to hand is a very low priority for soliders

Speaking as a soldier (commissioned officer), I'm going to disagree with you. In basic training we're taught some stuff just to beat the tar out of each other and get tough. Later on down the line, however, we're required to learn hand-to-hand techniques for the "just-in-case-for-whatever-reason-you-don't-have-a-gun-in-your-hand" scenario. Yes, the techniques are laughably silly if you have any previous martial arts training, but it still gets serious attention. Granted, unless you're special forces, it doesn't get continuous attention, but the one time course you take is still pretty intense (or at least, my course was pretty intensive).

By the way, if you think our guys don't fight hand-to-hand anymore, think again. Read this:

http://michaelyon.blogspot.com/2005/08/gates-of-fire.html

If you don't want to read the whole thing, basically, some of our guys were stuck in a firefight in Mosul when they ran out of ammo. What happened? An Army CSM took it to the bad guys hand-to-hand and won.

I'm guessing that will also depend on your job - my father was an E-9 in the navy. But he was a jet mechanic - he repaired fighter planes, so other than some basic boxing, he was never given any hand to hand. One of my training buddies is a retired SEAL. Even he says his hand to hand training was slight. They focused more on gun tactics, strategy and formation, etc. Now, if you are an infantryman, sure, I bet they receive more hand to hand as they are most likely to need it.