• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Maximising punch power

Just thought i'd make a thread for people to discuss how you maximise punching power of the reverse/cross punch or roundhouse/hook punch. I mean all the little things like whether to execute the punch before or after hip movement, proper footwork, correct angles etc. etc. you know the stuff I mean. So discuss :)

"When my enemy contracts I expand and when he expands I contract" - Bruce Lee

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing I read about punches in the book "solo training" is that when executing a roundhouse punch you should punch with your palm side of the fist pointing towards yourself instead of towards the ground (hope thats a clear explanation), its supposed to minimise the risk of wrist injury because your forearm, wrist and hand are all in line or somthing like that. Most people punch their palm side facing down which can cause injury when hitting a hard target ie. attackers face. You have to re-train yourself to hit that way and can feel strange at first.

One thing I read about punches in the book "solo training" is that when executing a roundhouse punch you should punch with your palm side of the fist pointing towards yourself instead of towards the ground (hope thats a clear explanation), its supposed to minimise the risk of wrist injury because your forearm, wrist and hand are all in line or somthing like that. Most people punch their palm side facing down which can cause injury when hitting a hard target ie. attackers face. You have to re-train yourself to hit that way and can feel strange at first.

The problem with a roundhouse or hook punch is that you can't put much body weight behind the punch. Everything depends on how fast you accelerate your punching arm and fist and rotate your torso in a semi-circular direction as well the semi-circular withdrawing hand the follows a similar but opposite vector. For this reason, a stepping or lunge punch (oi zuki) or reverse punch (gyaku zuki) is more powerful when executed by one and the same person due to the biomechanical and physical force differentials involved.

Gene

A hook is an extremely powerful punch if executed correctly, and a lot of "body" can be put behind it. The only other punches that can be harder than it are the cross and uppercut. (Im assuming a lunge punch is the same thing as a cross?) As for the reverse punch- you don't mean the kind that have palms facing the sky when you punch, do you?

I've got to agree with caged warrior here. You can put a lot of body into a hook if you know how to execute it properly. Proper hooks don't swing wildly. They stay in close and tight allowing your weight to stay behind it and even drive it down. Of course a straight lunge or reverse punch is powerful too, but it would be a mistake to assume you can't get the same drive into a hook.

As far as jumping goes, 99% of the time it's a bad idea. Aside from the potential sacrifice of balance, giving up your base prevents you from being able to drive the punch forward. The reciprocal force will knock you back if you are in the air.

A good punch means good structure and good timing. Hip, torso, arm, then a little more hip is generally what I use. Using only the muscles that are needed to drive the fist forward is important. Pushing and/or straightening the back leg at the last moment also gives it a bit more thump. Moving the hip forward toward the target instead of just turning it is also important. In fact everything on the striking side needs to move in concert in the same direction for the greatest efficiency.

The only two things that stand between an effective art and one that isn't are a tradition to draw knowledge from and the mind to practice it.

A hook is an extremely powerful punch if executed correctly, and a lot of "body" can be put behind it. The only other punches that can be harder than it are the cross and uppercut. (Im assuming a lunge punch is the same thing as a cross?) As for the reverse punch- you don't mean the kind that have palms facing the sky when you punch, do you?

A reverse punch is basically the same as a cross punch.

The problem with a roundhouse or hook punch is that you can't put much body weight behind the punch. Everything depends on how fast you accelerate your punching arm and fist and rotate your torso in a semi-circular direction as well the semi-circular withdrawing hand the follows a similar but opposite vector. For this reason, a stepping or lunge punch (oi zuki) or reverse punch (gyaku zuki) is more powerful when executed by one and the same person due to the biomechanical and physical force differentials involved.

The roundhouse punch has more power behind it than the reverse, because you can put more of your torso and hips into it compared to the reverse. However the reverse is still very powerful becuase you are hitting a relativly soft target ie. the face and can do alot more damage than, say, hitting the side of the head with a roundhouse punch.

Anyway back to my original question:

What are your opinions on this, should I change the way I punch? it'll take some getting used too...

in the last reply, wrist injury was mentioned alittle off topic but if you hit a bag or target with any significant weight to it your wrist will calcify inturn making them stronger, but back to punching i agree with alot that has been said but my personal most powerful punch is from back hand and thrown straight, one i can put as much body weight as need and there are harder to block or deflect. i usually have my feet abotu shoulder length apart and both face a 45 degree angle from my body. thats about it

nomatter what it be, will power and heart produces great things

well in karate we don't put to much hip or twisting motion becuase that is supposed to teleport your movements,but when I used to do kickboxing it was nothing but hip/twisting motions for hooks und uppercuts.

https://www.samuraimartialsports.com for your source of Karate,Kobudo,Aikido,And Kung-Fu

teleport your movements? THat sounds cool, how do I learn to teleport my movements? :D

Anyways, a hook is all body and comes from the legs, very little arm or swing in it.

And that's where all power punches get there power, from your legs, hips is missleading, cause while they do rotate in with the punch, it is the legs that power this.

Proper alignment is also very important, on a cross if you flair your elbow it becomes just your arm powering it as the elbow absorbs the body's influence. On a hook you want to hit with your forearm perpendicular to your target.

Andrew Green

http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!