• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What do you think of XMA?

You cannot group all XMA practitioners together. Some of them are only concerned with gymnastics and showmanship, and that is just fine for them. But I know some who, although they are great at flipping and performing, can demonstrate an excellent traditional kata and have trained in traditional studios for years.

I would say that XMA, as a system, is great if used in a certain way. If it is used to enhance traditional martial arts, then I am all for it. But if it is used a substitute for the arts that have been practiced for centuries and are the "core" of true XMA training, then I do would not advise that training.

But each school/instructor is different. After all, would you group all TDK schools together based on what you observed at a TKD tournament?

• 4 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes xma is fun to watch indeed, and those kids have a great talent being able to do these things... will it help them in a real fight? very unlikely, but it will give them the confidence in themselves to try new things that they most likely will excell at... TMA probably being one of them

Brown belt... win trophies... grade... lose trophies... so much fun

• 2 weeks later...

XMA just bores the living daylights out of me. It's like watching someone flying a kite - there's only so many times you can watch a brightly coloured thing spinning in the air before your brain starts to go numb.

Boring - that's my assessment.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

To each his own.

I dance, and I know sometimes people think that the modern styles of dance are much cooler, much more flashy...In reality, the traditional ballet and pointe also take a very long time to master and are very physically demanding--maybe even more so--even though they are not always flashy or exciting. I guess it's the same idea...?

So I guess I know why traditionalists are annoyed.

• 1 month later...
The difference is your dance instructor isnt leading you to believe that you can fight....

I don't know if they're telling them they can... Of course, someone who wants to be really serious about it should have a grounding in a practical style before they start.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

I've never heard of anyone teaching xma that said that they could fight with the techniques. :P

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

I've never heard of anyone teaching xma that said that they could fight with the techniques. :P

Good point, and I hope most people would share your sentiment. But I have met people who thought some of their stuff was appropriate for the street.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Good point, and I hope most people would share your sentiment. But I have met people who thought some of their stuff was appropriate for the street.

Yikes, that would be ugly, quick, I think. Simple is better, in the street.