• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What do you think of XMA?

Without conditioning fights in the street won't last very long.

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward,

Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both,

For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, If I live I will kill you, If I die you are forgiven.

Such is the rule of HONOR!

• 4 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

even with conditioning, they don't last long. When was the last time you saw a street fight last longer than 2 minutes?

1. adrenaline gives you a rush, but it saps your body and wears you out quickly. It's like a star man in the super mario games - temporary burst of energy.

2. when you lack conditioning, once you are sapped, you are done.

3. most fights happen quickly. sucker punches, multiple attackers, etc. the guy sucker punches and aggresses from then on. The other guy doesn't have time to try and attack - he just gets punmmeled.

Now, being that my second job is in a bar, I've been in some fights that have taken longer than a few mins, but that is because they were huge - like 10 or more people - and breaking all of that up is a pain in the butt...

I like some of the forms they do but prefer to watch traditional forms generally. When they get too flippy spinny it looks more like gymnastics to me than MA. Having said that, it is remarkable how much work and effort these people put into doing these competitions. And this was not meant as a knock on gymnasts either. Those folks work awfully hard to do what they do!

"Jita Kyoei" Mutual Benefit and Welfare

i also agree that it is probably not all that effective on the street, it could be if they paid more attention to self defense instead of being all about tournament

"Live life easy and peacefully, but when it is time to fight become ferocious."

let's not forget one thing guys, just because they're doing XMA doesn't mean they can't fight.

For all we know they could have trained 10 years full contact muay thai before wanting to adapt their bodies again for a new challenge.

I think it's awesome for what it is but they sould recognise that they are doing forms and not combat orientated moves.

My two pence :)

"sweat is the essential element. The sea in which the martial artists are born and through which they swim"

let's not forget one thing guys, just because they're doing XMA doesn't mean they can't fight.

Just because you practice throwing punches and kicks doesnt mean you can either.....

For all we know they could have trained 10 years full contact muay thai before wanting to adapt their bodies again for a new challenge.

Its a possibility, but I doubt it. Hardcore fighters will tend to stay with the hardcore styles, but then again there are exceptions (such as belt collectors).

I think it's awesome for what it is but they sould recognise that they are doing forms and not combat orientated moves.

We know that, but the question is do they, or their new students know that?

I think someone stated that if you do not do atleast one flip in your form you lose

the is not the truth

I've been on tour doing xma for a while and just got back from all first places in every one and I haven't done a single flip trick or multiple spin kick.

Have just been really intence and good choreagraphy that's all you need to win any competition and it will be just as entertaining as any flash based form

they are very entertaining to watch and xma is this

It is to get youth and anyone else into martial arts. No one does just xma. that is stupid. Like one purson said how can you do 7 kicks at once without haveing good standings in traditional footwork or martial arts

"There is no bad student only bad teacher"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I COMPLETELY AGREE WITH isshinryu5toforever it is not traditional karate at all and not traditional karateka would ever try or that stuff and still call it traditional. A traditional karateka might do it for fun but prolyl would not take it seriously. A Traditional Karateka is able to defend themselves and a lot or most styles of traditional karate believe in staying grounded not flipping through the air. XMA is NOT for TRADITIONAL tournaments it is more for a gymnastics meet. No traditional karate would ever do some of the things they do in a TRADITIONAL tournament or in a fight i just honestly think that that stuff is not martial arts in ANY SENSE OF THE WORD...i also am not a big fan of some of the open tournaments out there but i will discuss that at a different time and place.

I really don't like the XMA. I think it makes the martial arts seem shallow in many respects. If someone could prove that a back flip into a 540 spin kick is more effective in a fight then a well timed reverse punch, I might be interested.

5th Dan Tang Soo Do