• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What do you think of XMA?

Being a performer myself I really enjoy watching XMA. Although sometimes it comes across as being a bit shallow. I think its the fact that they call themselves martial artists and issue belts that gets the traditionalists fired up. And rightly so. I think they need to make a clear distinction that what they do is performance Martial Arts and not intended for SD. That way there would be less misunderstanding.

I trained in both TMA and performance MA for many years. I honestly dont think I was much of a decent fighter though till I started doing full contact Karate and Muay Thai. The guys I did wushu with couldn't fight to save themselves. They had great technique, co ordination and body control but absolutely no understanding of how to apply it in a fight.

"Today is a good day to die"

Live each day as if it were your last

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In all honesty, if you're studying those things in the hopes of getting in the movies, or getting a bit part... by all means. But, if you are doing it to impress your friends or be showy, i find that an unhealthy path... despite the momentary thrills it provides.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

In all honesty, if you're studying those things in the hopes of getting in the movies, or getting a bit part... by all means. But, if you are doing it to impress your friends or be showy, i find that an unhealthy path... despite the momentary thrills it provides.

I dont think anybody does XMA specifically for the purpose of showing off. They do it because they love doing it. Of course every performer has a bit of a show off in him. But I dont think thats the main reason he trains so hard. How is doing something you love to do unhealthy? How does it differ from any other extream sport?

"Today is a good day to die"

Live each day as if it were your last

XMA isn't taught for fighting applications at all (as I mentioned before). It is NOT self defense! It is for performance. Performance is a legitimate use of the martial arts.

BTW, there is not actually belts in XMA. Anyone who is a blackbelt and does XMA earned that blackbelt in a traditional style. XMA is divided into various levels- beginner, intermediate, advanced, elite, and several higher.

Fatigue really doesn't apply in most street fights being that adrenaline induced by the desire to survive will keep you energized enough..

Thats not true. Adrenaline does a great job of sapping all of your energy from you. Adrenaline makes you feel great for about 10-20 seconds if you decide to go beserk and crazy. If you dont get the job done by then (or do significant damage) then you're in some trouble.

The more experienced a martial artist is, the faster he/she can't end a conflict.

Its not so much the skill of the individual in a fight that determines how quickly its concluded as it is the comparitive skill of BOTH the fighters (and weight disparity as well).

For instance, Roy Jones Jr. could quickly defeat and knock out some scrub who has no training whatsoever, due mostly to the difference in experience between the two fighters. When he fights another professional boxer, it suddenly becomes a fight that becomes drawn out, because the other boxer knows how to defend properly and counterattack as well.

As has been stated, XMA is not a martial art in and of itself. XMA is a style of presentation that was developed by Mike Chat in response to what works on the open forms circuit. To develop this part of it (The 540 kicks, acrobatics, yells, "flash", etc), he created the XMA program to be an ADJUNCT to a traditional MA program.

While it does help, I see traditional forms still place highly at national level open events. I see the XMA applications being of more use in the weapons competitions, simply because it teaches the flashy, street useless moves such as the hand rolls, release moves, tosses, etc. However, to get to that point, you also have to have a basic mastery of the weapon first.

Same thing for the MA part of it. One of the basic forms that they present has a sequence of round/hook kicks done at three different levels followed immediately by an axe kick. 7 kicks in sequence without putting the foot down, you better have the kicks already good and under control, or you ain't making it.

XMA is a stylistic addition to a traditional MA program. The ATA has it licensed to use in all their schools, and in the kids that are doing it, I see an increased sharpness in their traditional MA, as well as a higher level of excitement about coming to class in general.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

As has been stated, XMA is not a martial art in and of itself. XMA is a style of presentation that was developed by Mike Chat in response to what works on the open forms circuit. To develop this part of it (The 540 kicks, acrobatics, yells, "flash", etc), he created the XMA program to be an ADJUNCT to a traditional MA program.

While it does help, I see traditional forms still place highly at national level open events. I see the XMA applications being of more use in the weapons competitions, simply because it teaches the flashy, street useless moves such as the hand rolls, release moves, tosses, etc. However, to get to that point, you also have to have a basic mastery of the weapon first.

Same thing for the MA part of it. One of the basic forms that they present has a sequence of round/hook kicks done at three different levels followed immediately by an axe kick. 7 kicks in sequence without putting the foot down, you better have the kicks already good and under control, or you ain't making it.

XMA is a stylistic addition to a traditional MA program. The ATA has it licensed to use in all their schools, and in the kids that are doing it, I see an increased sharpness in their traditional MA, as well as a higher level of excitement about coming to class in general.

Aodhan

Nicely put!

I don't have to be the best, just better than you!

Working towards 11% BF and a Six pack

Fatigue really doesn't apply in most street fights being that adrenaline induced by the desire to survive will keep you energized enough..

Thats not true. Adrenaline does a great job of sapping all of your energy from you. Adrenaline makes you feel great for about 10-20 seconds if you decide to go beserk and crazy. If you dont get the job done by then (or do significant damage) then you're in some trouble.

I've been in a few street fights and have whitness'd many more. I've never seen anyone tire out after a 10-20 second burst of rage. Also, none of the fights lasted longer than 2 or 3 min. In a competition/sport, you'd be in trouble. Based on personal experiences, adrenaline induced rage has last'd long after the fight is over.

The more experienced a martial artist is, the faster he/she can't end a conflict.

Its not so much the skill of the individual in a fight that determines how quickly its concluded as it is the comparitive skill of BOTH the fighters (and weight disparity as well).

For instance, Roy Jones Jr. could quickly defeat and knock out some scrub who has no training whatsoever, due mostly to the difference in experience between the two fighters. When he fights another professional boxer, it suddenly becomes a fight that becomes drawn out, because the other boxer knows how to defend properly and counterattack as well.

Well, I said the more experienced martial artist. Roy Jones would fall into the 'more experienced' category in your scrub scenario. Also, Roy has knock'd out several well train'd boxers in short stints. Roy was just the more experience fighter in the matchup. Besides, as I've said earlier, street fights (from my own personal experience) don't last more than a few minutes, no matter the skill of the fighters. Rules of the ring make fights long and drawn out. Rules of the street keeps 'em short.

The only thing for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

I've been in a few street fights and have whitness'd many more. I've never seen anyone tire out after a 10-20 second burst of rage. Also' date=' none of the fights lasted longer than 2 or 3 min. In a competition/sport, you'd be in trouble. Based on personal experiences, adrenaline induced rage has last'd long after the fight is over.[/quote']

The adrenaline dump is certain to stay in your system, but that doesnt change the fact. Most people dont fight often, therefore they're not accustomed to it. I didnt say that people fell over dead after 20 seconds, but merely that they're exhausted after that initial surge of "craziness" so many people resort to. The reason you dont see the other guy beat him senseless is because he's experiencing the same thing.

Well, I said the more experienced martial artist. Roy Jones would fall into the 'more experienced' category in your scrub scenario. Also, Roy has knock'd out several well train'd boxers in short stints. Roy was just the more experience fighter in the matchup. Besides, as I've said earlier, street fights (from my own personal experience) don't last more than a few minutes, no matter the skill of the fighters. Rules of the ring make fights long and drawn out. Rules of the street keeps 'em short.

I thought there were no rules on the street? :wink:

Fights carry themselves the same way regardless the situation. A fight that's broken up is not a fight that's decided. Thats basically what the cage does- keep them at it until the fight is decided. If you did the same thing on the street, the fights could very well last just as long.

Besides that, there are MANY fights in UFC and MMA events which dont progess past the first round (less than 5 minutes).