• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

ug..... lost 3 spars in a row...

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

hm... im taking all this into consideration, but i think my main problem is that im having a hard time moving from practice speed to actual speed. and i also seem to only use certain movements instead of all my movements for some reason.... i'll just hav to see what happens!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v508/mintai2003/newanimation.gif

Yes, you will generally tend to use more frequently the moves that are most comfortable for you. At first, I found my self doing a whole lot of heavy roundhouse kicks. Though they'd hurt you, it was predictable. Ask your Master for advice or just try to work moves you're less comfortable with.

m........ im a noob to kung-fu, although i've already learned many ways to win the fight in 2 sec. I sparred today and lost 3 times in a row! ahg! i think my mishpas were that 1. i just saw a martial arts movie which tends to make u forget what ur supposed to do 2. first spar so im not used to making hard grips (could have won that first spar had i not relinquish my grip) and 3. isnt it just plain stupid to throw a kick in there when the opponent is totaly focused? uh....

:o :o :o You lost three sparring matches!!! Get over it. Investing in loss (Chen Man Ching) can be a valuable lesson. Analyze & learn from your mistakes & think of ways to improve. Don't let your pride & ego get in the way. Sparring in class is for training not competition. Train a technique until it works or focus on a weakness.

You mention you are new to kung fu, make sure you have something to fight with. Don't be so eager to spar if you don't have any technique to use. Anyone can brawl & flail punches/kicks around. Take the time to gain a little bit of skill before sparring - you'll get more out of it.

Also a lot of the things you learn in kung fu shouldn't be applied to sparring because of their potential to be fatal hits.

The game of chess is much like a swordfight; you must think before you move.

• 2 weeks later...
Also a lot of the things you learn in kung fu shouldn't be applied to sparring because of their potential to be fatal hits.

Thats my concern with chinese style sparring too. A lot of what I learn are hits to the throat, eye pokes, nuts, kick to lower legs etc.

All of which i can't use in competition.

I love how kung fu kicks the other person's leg while he is kicking. Like how WC does, just kick the other guy's leg while is he kicking. But i can't use it in competition.

I love how kung fu kicks the other person's leg while he is kicking. Like how WC does, just kick the other guy's leg while is he kicking. But i can't use it in competition

you'll have to dumb down your stuff to compete..

http://www.youtube.com/user/sifumcilwrath

"When the student is ready the master will appear"

hm... im taking all this into consideration, but i think my main problem is that im having a hard time moving from practice speed to actual speed. and i also seem to only use certain movements instead of all my movements for some reason.... i'll just hav to see what happens!

Practice speed? What is that? Unless you are learning a new move, you should practice at "real" speed. You use the moves you practice the most. Don't know your style but I guess you should concentrate on the basics until they become automatic, this should cover most situations, then proceed to learn alternate moves.

You fight like you practice.