• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kuk Sool Won sparring?

how does kuk sool won spar?I know that it's a striking art ,but I've heard that it has a lot of grappling techniques.So would you spar with both or just striking?Also is it full contact?just curious

https://www.samuraimartialsports.com for your source of Karate,Kobudo,Aikido,And Kung-Fu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

It is point sparring only and is an optional curriculum in KSW. IOW, you aren't required to spar to earn your black belt.

Soo are not allowed in sparring though, as it is too dangerous - injuries occur with techniques even when practiced under controlled conditions.

KSW sparring is not just kicking though... hand strikes are just as effective as kicks are in KSW sparring.

JKN Dean

what is IOW?Also what is soo?Anyways I know that Kuk Sool Won has hand strikes also.It's not like TKD and I think Hapkido that only kick in striking modes.Also when you spar are kicks and punches to the head allowed?and kicks to the lower body?

https://www.samuraimartialsports.com for your source of Karate,Kobudo,Aikido,And Kung-Fu

IOW = In Other Words

Soo is Korean for "techniques" (roughly).

Allowed targets for kicking and punching: Top of head, sides of head. Chest and sides down to belt.

Non-allowed targets for kicking or punching: back of head, back, below the belt.

Kicking other persons legs isn't disallowed to my knowledge, but you won't score points hitting those areas. Still, I've set up a kick to the head or other legal target by faking a kick to the thigh. Sweeps are not allowed.

I think that pretty much covers it. :)

JKN Dean

Goju you are completely incorrect in your assessment of tkd and hkd sparring...BOTH employ hand techniques and kicks during sparring.

Long Live the Fighters!

Goju you are completely incorrect in your assessment of tkd and hkd sparring...BOTH employ hand techniques and kicks during sparring.
oh sorry, I knew about tkd punching.it's just that I hear that wtf doesn't and itf does(or something like that).Then about hapkido,I had heard about it being a kick oriented style while in striking mode,so I just guessed that it wasn't big on punches either.

"Soo is Korean for "techniques" (roughly). "

so you mean soo is the grappling aspect of it?

Also is it a fan of high kicks,spinning kicks,and/or jump kicks when you spar?

Goju the problem with the wtf sparring is that the judges dont score punches to the body, even though they are supposed to, and punches to the head even if you pull them are not allowed, so people have gotten out of the habit of throwing them or even defending from them. However, in traditional tkd hand strikes are balanced with the legs. The same I would say would be true of hapkido sparring...unless of course its hapkido taught at a WTF dojang...in which case they may follow wtf rules for forms sake.

Long Live the Fighters!

In WTF, a punch can only score if is produced "shuddering impact" to which an opponent is vigourously thrown back. Some schools despite teaching punches, never elaborate on how to produce shuddering force and so their students never uses punches. Judges rarely score punches, which is unfair.

In some Hapkido schools, the students where hogu's and helmets. Kicks are allowed to the head, body and legs. The same goes for knee strikes. Punches are only allowed to the body. Sweeps, throws and takedowns are also allowed. Other schools just let the students wear gloves and shin/instep protectors, and punches are allowed to the face. Grappling on the ground is also allowed in addition to the above. Such sparring looks similar to what you see at JJIF competitions.

Perfect Practice makes Perfect.