• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Karate defence against BJJ

b3n

I disagree with the fighting because they like to fight most fights are over nothing with two people one of which absolutely does not want to fight.

Not in all cases, but yes... in most.

The other knows this and takes advantage of the situation to prove something to themselves.

Well... they could very well be at it to obtain an income, or something else. I.e., your cash... or sex obtained through force.

It seems there's a focus here about people having 'high-school' type confrontations. That i could care less about. I am far more concerned with confrontations that could 'end' a life, not end my 'popularity.'

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed but you are far more likely to run into this type of confrontation than life threatening. About 85% more likely. But you are right life threatening should be the main concern but one of these more common confrontations could pose a more serious threat.

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward,

Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both,

For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, If I live I will kill you, If I die you are forgiven.

Such is the rule of HONOR!

Again, I have never seen any statistics on the percentage of violent crime offenders with or without training. And it seems, neither have you, but if you can find some I'd like to see it. Until then it is just guessing.

Yes, however, it is not just wild guessing, but calculated guessing (meaning it has some empirical or factual basis and not just taken out of the blue), which is true even in the field of science when exact figures cannot be produced to support one's conclusions more definitively. So, in the absence of exact figures to show that violent crime offenders have had martial arts training, I would assume the characteristic null hypothesis on the issue, because it is not natural to have martial arts training for a population as this training is acquired, not inborn.

Newspapers aren't going to mention it, not unless it is there career. But otherwise they aren't going to investigate someone enough to find out. There are several well documentated cases of Martial arts instructors being involved in sex crimes though.

But, how "several" is "several well documented cases of martial arts instructors being involved in sex crimes"? You must state the ratio of this observation to the total observation of the phenomenon under investigation and test for its significance in the population given. Do you see the problem with statistics being qualitatively expressed?

My guess would be that a good number people getting in fights WOULD have some training, why? Because they like to fight.

Highly speculative, but it is still a legitimate preliminary hypothesis to begin a scientific study on the problem. Liking to fight is a trait or emotional predisposition, while knowing how to fight is a natural but usually more of a learned skill. You have to prove the causative influence of one over the other for you to know this is empirically true. Liking to fight doesn't necessarily result to knowing how to expertly fight.

But unless they are a pro fighter or instructor, that fact isn't going to make the news, along with 1000's of other bits of information about them.

That is the reality of news reporting and even of statistics itself when it is not done scientifically by experts. It is a limitation that we must live with in our search for the truth. But, having some information on a phenomenon is still better than no information at all.

Agreed but you are far more likely to run into this type of confrontation than life threatening. About 85% more likely. But you are right life threatening should be the main concern but one of these more common confrontations could pose a more serious threat.

I'm not at all in agreement with that 85%. Indeed, it is far more likely that i will encounter a life-threatening situation than i would a high-school-type confrontation. Why? Well, partly because of my age, partly because of the different types of professions i enter into, and partly because i do a dang good job of avoiding areas where 'high-school' type mentalities thrive.

And while that is me, i still don't agree with the 85% stated percentage for everyone else. Then again, we're dealing with unsubstantiated numbers, so my disagreement is reasoned.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

Karate versus BJJ ?

Depending on the level of competency by both sides ,I would say that in most cases karateka has to keep his distance and must find an ippon technique to knock out the BJJ !

I know it is not easy ! especially against a well trained and conditioned BJJ and if he gets the grip on the karateka he will have the definite advantage but it all goes down to how the karateka has developed his technique in training .if he has good technique and timing he always has the chance of smashing his front kick to his face as he is comming for a take down ,or by taking the inititive and attack first by trying a barrage of techniques that CAN cause damage it is no use to simply tap the the guy as you will just make him more angry without hurting him !

so basically karateka must finish the fight with a knock out technique or more than likely he will be in trouble !

never give up !

must find an ippon technique to knock out the BJJ !

To do this you must train one punch, one kick and forget all sport technics that karatekas are got used to. And to be able psychologicaly to cause injury to your opponent.

I would rephrase that to each technique must be intended as ippon ,it does not mean not using combinations .there is great emphasis on multiple techniques each as equally strong and fast .it is not always possible to achieve ippon , therefore multiple attacks to diferrent parts of body can achieve this ,idealy one should not let the opponent especially as skilled as BJJ to settle down to carry his attack. as if he closes the range and gets his grip on ,chances of survival for karateka lowers dramatiacaly ,however karate has techniques that can be used in that department also but the odds are in favour BJJ by now.

never give up !

must find an ippon technique to knock out the BJJ !

every punch and every kick supposed to be ippon technicque in Karate if you master it. Mas Oyama knows the best "one strike certain kill." That's how he won most of his fight.

and I think people should stop using UFC as bench mark to judge what style is better.

Yes, properly trained combinations will also do. But only if they are trained to knock your opponent out or cause some serious injury. This is not like in competitions, when you use a wide range of techniques that is not necessarily aimed to knock your oppenent out, but is just a part of your technique arsenal. And in most dojos you do not have an ability to train a particular punch, kick or some combination, they give you the whole range of technique so that you could compete successfuly. One must master the most simple, effective and safe (i mean not high kicks for example) knock out technique him(her)self.