• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Style question

isshinryuwarrior

SenseiMike is 100% right. Much of what students study within the dojo are unknown to those who do not study with them in the same dojo. One poster on these forums mentioned "Roe Pah", the splitting of tributaries from the main river. There are as many differences WITHIN the an art form as well as BETWEEN other arts too.

I think SenseiMike was referring to his use of grappling which is extracted directly from the Kata, in addition to other techniques. Not that I wish to speak for SenseiMike, but that is truly amazing. It's the first time I ever heard of something like this. I wonder if this is what many refer to as "Reverse-Engineering".

Perfect Practice makes Perfect.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I think SenseiMike was referring to his use of grappling which is extracted directly from the Kata"

Well were else is it going to come from?Unless he puts aspects of another art in it.

https://www.samuraimartialsports.com for your source of Karate,Kobudo,Aikido,And Kung-Fu

Well, I dont know much about Karate's grappling methods, but yeah, aside from the Kata, the grappling could have been taken from others arts or even the more advanced Kihon practiced by higher belts. I cannot be sure as I have no Karate background. I posted a highligh on Shotokan and Kyokushin on these forums, you can see a guy perform a flying body scissors. I haven't seen these type of moves performed in the the kata I have seen, but I have not seen it all, so I could be wrong.

Perfect Practice makes Perfect.

• 4 weeks later...

Isshin Ryu, from what I've come to understand, is an Open End Book so to Speak. It's been left open for experimentation, so that we may intigrate new techniques to make our art more effective. But then again, this is just how I've come to understand Isshin Ryu. Anything We can learn from one style and Adapt to Ours, was worth Learning.

I have unwittingly changed my way of life, for I can never be the same person again.