• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Oom Yung Doe- What's the deal with it

Alright, I know I'm setting myself up to be burned here... I practice Oom Yung Doe. I have for approximately 1 1/2- 2 years. I recently (like 20 min. ago) was researching it because I wanted to to start Myspace group for it. To my suprise, I found a conspiracy site featuring it, along with a 90s case discussing tax fraud.

I really have benifited from Oom Yung Doe. I feel more confident, become more physically capable and mentally disciplined. Also, my school grades have been raised. I haven't tried martial arts prior to this one, however I did check out other school and my area, and frankly, Martial Arts World was a little... eh... didn't seem serious.

I've heard people describe the environment as being harsh and brainwashing, but my instructor seems nice. He's not all crazy, and has a life outside of Oom Yung Doe. Most instructors have regular jobs, and he (an Assistant Head Instructor) is a registered Chiropracter and Acupressurist (still studying Acupunture).

I admit I have been hit several times, but nothing big. Slight Chungs by the instructor, nothing that makes me double-over or anything. Also, my fellow students are normal, healthy teens.

Is Oom Yung Doe as evil as other Martial Arts seem to regard it? I mean, it has been featured on several "Our Community" news sites....

So yes, please help me. I really like Oom Yung Doe, and feel like it has helped me, but I admit I am a little bit hesitant at considering other martial arts... What do you all think?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oom Yong Do is a cult. They taught bad techniques. If you do a search for Oom Yong Do or Chung Moo Doe and cult you will find out whats going on. This was awhile back so for all I know they have changed the curriculum. However their main site still shows the grandmaster doing a flying side kick off a 10 story building.

Long Live the Fighters!

Wow, I did a little bit of quick research on that style, and some of the things I read were kind of scary.

Supposedly the kicking technique master kim uses is supposed to slow down his descent, so he may land without harm. Interestingly enough, the photographer must have been doing that very technique while taking the picture, because they are just as far off the edge of the building as he is.

Aside from the frightening accounts described on a cult resource page, as an experienced martial artist, I found some of the information and pictures on their web sites to be peculiar, nonsensical and impractical. Most of the pictures on the site with the caption "you can achieve this" are of people doing either, simple jumping kicks, techniques in impractical stances, or stances commonly seen in any kung fu magazine. If half of the "great achievements" performed by this master were true, everyone in the martial arts community would know about them and him.

Also, Chung Mu/Moo was the given birth name of a Korean naval admiral who was known as Yi Sun Shin, and was said to have created the first armored battle ship. I don't know what your knowledge is of the meaning of Chung Moo, the alternate name for oom yung doe, but it is a name. But to play devil's advocate, the art could have that name because of it's meaning, as names usually have a meaning to them.

I am very sorry oomyundoeperson, it's great that you have gotten positive results from your practice, but you should be very, very careful in choosing to stay. If I were you, I would seriously consider another school. Do not let your impression of one school dictate your opinion of "other martial arts". Since oom yung do is a Korean martial art, I would suggest a traditional, not sport/olympic, but a traditional tae kwon do school, or tang soo do. A traditional Okinawan Shorin Ryu, or Shotokan Karate school would also be very good, as they are very similar to traditional Chung Do Kwan TKD. But please, do not dismiss all other schools because you weren't impressed with one, there are plenty of "ho hum" schools out there, but also some very good ones.

I would be very wary of a style that glorifies it's grand master with being able to jump off a high building.

You should though, by all means, continue your martial arts training, but at a good school that teaches a well known style with strong roots.

With that said, I wish you good luck with whatever choice you make.

I am hesitant to try Tae Kwon Doe, as some of my peers in Oom Yung Doe (lower belts) have had experience with it, and say it lacked certain aspects that Oom Yung Doe had... I believe the example often stated is TKD kicks from the ground, wheras the majority of OYD kicks start from picking up the knee first, allowing a variety of diffirent kicks from that position. I haven't read much about a cult recently, it seems to have occured in the past to.

I am considering questioning my Instructor in this, but would appreciate it if more infromation could be given, and more modern sources.

As for the jump kick... I believe it involves shifting your weight in shuch a way that slows the descent of your fall...

I believe it involves shifting your weight in shuch a way that slows the descent of your fall...

No offense but Physics tells us weight is weight :(

Rule #1: Play the game to the limit. Damn the consequences.

I believe the example often stated is TKD kicks from the ground, wheras the majority of OYD kicks start from picking up the knee first, allowing a variety of diffirent kicks from that position.

What version of TKD is it that kicks from the ground?

In the version of TKD that I do, most of the kicks involve picking up the knee first, then performing the kick...

I believe the example often stated is TKD kicks from the ground, wheras the majority of OYD kicks start from picking up the knee first, allowing a variety of diffirent kicks from that position.

What version of TKD is it that kicks from the ground?

In the version of TKD that I do, most of the kicks involve picking up the knee first, then performing the kick...

Yeah.

To my knowledge, most styles will teach you to pick up (chamber) your knee.

That's why you need to check the school out before you start. Trust me, a good TKD school will not disappoint, but I'm not trying to push TKD on you, it is just one of many very fine options.

Also be aware that, if there is something fishy going on with your school, your teacher will probably not be very forthright with you, but if you ask him, listen carefully to what he has to say, and make sure that what he is telling you isn't just hot air.

Just on a side note, assuming that they were and still are a cult, and with all of the (supposed) publicity it may have had in the martial arts community, they would surely take this into consideration, and change their methods. I wouldn't be surprised if they waited to try to coax students, after they've been there a while, letting them get comfortable with their instructors and fellow students.

I'm not suggesting this is true, just a mere logical possiblity.

*(edit) Oh, and as for the flying kick; on the web site, I believe, it even said that it had to do with the master's phenomenal near magical powers, not necessarily shifting his weight, and even if it was a matter of shifting weight, the kicking technique would be irrelevant. I believe strongly in science, but am open enough to not just dismiss things, but I'm not even close to believing in most, if not all of master kim's abilities.

Please remember oomyungdoeperson, I'm not attacking you, in case it sounds like it.

Oom Yong Do is a cult. They taught bad techniques.

I’ve no prior knowledge of this style or anything about it. I haven’t done any research at all yet, so I don’t want to pick a side on this topic. I only want to say and ask a few things about the ‘cultish-ness’ of the style.

The word cult, as defined by https://www.dictionary.com, is very vague. See here for the full definition. When you say this style is a cult, to which definition are you referring?

A religion or religious sect generally considered to be extremist or false, with its followers often living in an unconventional manner under the guidance of an authoritarian, charismatic leader.
Are they pushing a religion on the followers?
A usually nonscientific method or regimen claimed by its originator to have exclusive or exceptional power in curing a particular disease.
Any disease curing going on?
An exclusive group of persons sharing an esoteric, usually artistic or intellectual interest.
This definition could refer to just about any group of people.

Usually cults have an underlying agenda. We tend to think of them as a group brainwashing individuals so that they can achieve this hidden agenda. What is this style’s agenda? Are they trying to get the practitioners to convert to a religion, to give money or to do something radical? You can’t just say that the style is a cult because they taught bad technique. What is it about the style, or its leaders, that make it a cult?

Its alright, I don't feel attacked. I believe I will ask my instructor Monday, and have already told a few of my peers to check these websites out and google "Chung Moo Doe". Most of the articles I found were old, and what I experience there doesn't seem abusive though. In response to everyones' advice, I believe I will watch a few lessons from other schools in my area. Also, it was mentioned that the cult thing didn't start until black belt training, and I'm considering going into a higher-level training, so... I'll look for signs in that. I am one of the higher belts in my class, there were more when I signed up but they... disappeared. It is a teen level class, so I'm fairly certain that some tested for adult (most were 17-18 as it was). Also, I asked some people who stopped going, but they seemed eager to return, and left relatively unwillingly. Just so you know, I haven't been horribly tortured, nor do I have to pay my testing fees/lesson fees in cash. I am not forced to hang out with fellow students, in fact, we don't even have movie night and crap like that like the major martial arts school in our area, Martial Arts World, does. And I asked a friend to show me some kicks (she trains there) and they did come from the floor, so that is where I'm basing that comment on. I will however keep a watchful eye to signs of cult behavior, and am pretty willing to answer questions about Oom Yung Doe, unless an instructor or someone tells me to stop. So, from what I've read versus what I've seen, Oom Yung Doe seems pretty reformed. And might I mention, my instructor has been training for 16 years, and seems like a nice person. Contrary to articles posted, we are not beaten if we ask a movement to be explained more thourghly, though my instructor dislikes repeating himself. But if their are any former students, and anyone who has done research beyond the internet, I'd really apprechiate your imput. And anyone else who has something that would help me decide. My personal experience and "*-dar" or whatever seem to indicate this as innocent, though everyone else (people who are high-level in other martial arts) seem to think otherwise. I do believe it might have reformed, but I will bring up my concerns the next chance I get. I will answer questions about Oom Yung Doe to the best of my ability.

Sorry scottnshelly, you most have posted while I was writing this. To my knowledge, Oom Yung Doe does not have an underlying agenda, though research indicates that something involving money may have happened. It is vauge though. I did a background search on my instrutor (free) and nothing appeared. Interestingly enough, though, when I did a google search on his name, nothing outside Oom Yung Doe related sites appeared... Oom Yung Doe does not claim to cure AIDS or anything, though many testamonials (even from those under a black belt level, where most sites state brainwashing appears) suggest that it helps with physical problems, and I have witnessed some adult students (sem-elderly) experience benifits, such as sucessfully balancing their hips and body. I may have mentioned before that my instructor (Todd Facello) is (I believe...) a registered chiropractor, and his goal for the next 5 years is to become a registered acupuncturist. Also, he is co-owner of the school I practice at.

Well ScotnShelly I think the founder going to prison for tax fraud and the fact that they institute a policy of exclusion of outsiders are a couple. Here are some links on Oom Yung Doe.

http://www.rickross.com/groups/chung.html

http://www.freedomofmind.com/resourcecenter/groups/c/chung/

http://www.urbin.net/EWW/MA/cmd-tax.html

There are many many websites on it if you want to do a search.

Long Live the Fighters!