• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What's the difference between...

So what's the difference between Chung Do Mu Sool Won and Hapkido? Northern Illinois University has a Korean Martial Arts "club" (it's more than a club since they offer belt advancements and have black belts teaching and a leader that's sole purpose is to teach) but they offer Chung Do Mu Sool Won and Hapkido but don't offer the difference between the two. All they say is that Chung Do Mu Sool Won is an ancient Korean art whereas Hapkido was developed in the 20th century. Is that the only difference or are there differences in training techniques? Thanks for your time.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

To be brutally honest with you...I think there are really only two types of unarmed MA in Korea. TKD and HKD...and everything is related to one of those two types.

Long Live the Fighters!

Chung Do Mu Sool Won is a new name for taekwondo, there is no historical korean art. if there was it's lost to history, for the most part they studdied chinee kempo untill the Japanese took the country over in 1905.

There was an ancient sport called taekyon, but it wasn't a style, just a competition that scored points by kicking your opponent.

You can become a great fighter without ever becoming a martial artist, but no sir, you can not become a great martial artist with out becoming a great fighter. To fight is most certainly not the aim of any true martial art, but they are fighting arts all the same. As martial artists, we must stand ready to fight, even if hoping that such conflict never comes.

-My response to a fellow instructor, in a friendly debate

What did Chung Do Mu Sool Won evolve from?

I'm not sure. According to NIU, Hapkido evolved from Chung Do Mu Sool Won and CDMSW was, in fact, an ancient art in Korea.

Hapkido was derived from daito ryu ju jutsu. the founder of hapkido studied this in Japan from the same master who taught the founder of aikido.

You can become a great fighter without ever becoming a martial artist, but no sir, you can not become a great martial artist with out becoming a great fighter. To fight is most certainly not the aim of any true martial art, but they are fighting arts all the same. As martial artists, we must stand ready to fight, even if hoping that such conflict never comes.

-My response to a fellow instructor, in a friendly debate

• 8 months later...
To be brutally honest with you...I think there are really only two types of unarmed MA in Korea. TKD and HKD...and everything is related to one of those two types.

what about kuk sool won and hwa rang do? I know tang soo do is related to them.

Tang Soo Do is not related to Kuk Sool Won nor Hwa Rang Do...

Tang Soo Do is developed from Shotokan and Chuan Fa...

Hwa Rang Do is developed from the teachings of Su Ahm Dosa, and Dr. Joo Bang Lee (who was a hapkido 8th dan under Choi Yong Sul)..

Kuk Sool Won is derived from ancient Korean martial arts called Sa Do Mu Sool (Tribal or Family Martial Arts), Boo Kyo Mu Sool (Buddhist Temple Martial Arts) and Koong Joon Mu Sool (Korean Royal Court Martial Arts). It was founded by Grandmaster In Hyuk Suh.

With any look into Chung Do Mu Sool Won you see that it is a breakoff from Kuk Sool Won...The uniforms are very similar, and its claim to lineage is the same as Kuk Sool Won's Koong Joon Mu Sool.

So NO Chung Do Mu Sool Won is NOT derived from Tae Kwon Do...Its parent art of Kuk Sool Won was being systemized long before TKD was ever thought of.

--Josh

Hapkido isn't entirely Korean, either. 99% of Hapkido grappling comes straight from Daito Ryu Jiu-jitsu.

Just out of curiosity, that would imply that most of Kuk Sool's grappling is JJJ related, too, right?

If it works, use it!

If not, throw it out!