• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

how good do you have to be to spar?

In my school we spar once a week and I'm one of two guys that aren't at least brown belts, so I routinely have to go up against bigge, stronger, and more skilled guys, but I continuously get better. To the point I don't think it was too soon, unless you got beaten silly and dodn't learn anything.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not think it is fair to go into topics where sparring against novices is the key feature without making sure we are aware of the rules of the sparring matches. As far as "Sargent" goes, I would like to know the rules of his weekly matches so I can know the best way of how to talk to him about how his gym works.

"Not all the best people can be found in the ring"

It really depends on the situation that you are put into. If you are in a learning environment, then it can be a positive experience. If it is in an elevated form of competition, then it can be negative. Just depends on what the instructor is trying to accomplish.

There are reasons why one can be concerned about one of my chief training ideas, if you do call it a training idea. Alas, the old saying goes, one should be ready for everything...

"Not all the best people can be found in the ring"

• 1 month later...

If your that new you should be sparring with a responsible black belt. Reason being is that amount of control a black belt should be able to exercise.

If your instructors threw you in the ring with a lower belt you'd most likely end up getting wailed on, because new students tend to lack control.

If that black belt was wailing on you, than he/she shouldn't be wearing that black belt.

I've had a funny sparring experience with a black belt too actually. I went along to a kickboxing place and when they found out I had done karate they made me spar with the instructor. Bearing in mind we were doing semi contact, he managed to split my nose open. Clearly a responsible and mature instructer... I didn't go back. :)

The best armour is to keep out of range.

• 3 weeks later...

my first spar (and everyone in that dojo's) was against the sensei. As has been said above, two things happen, the student gets a feel for sparring in general (more imprtantly, understands that they are FAR outclassed and that they can learn a lot) and there is the fact that the student can be safely be shown weaknesses and try things to see what works or not.

now, I am one of around 5 sempai (is there an "s" there? I am not so familiar with Japanese) In the dojo where my first instructor learned (he still visits every now and again). In any case, we are now used for sparring with the younger students; we go easy enough that they can keep their thoughts from lagging and try to incorporate techniques into their fighting.

I am second/third generation Toshikan Karate Do (depending on which of my sensei I refer to). This seems like a fairly common practice.

However, if it was a true spar (contact or even light contact) where the black belt simply wailed on you before you could think to block: then there is absolutely no purpose to the exercise (except maybe to show you that right now you suck and have a long way to go (but there still isn't much purpose there)).

yeah, with the kickboxing thing, he was probably thinking "hey, I bet kickboxing is better than karate, let's prove it"

Perhaps the kickboxer thought that with your previous experience, you could perhaps handle a higher level of contact. Kickboxing is know for making a little more contact in their competitions.

When I started sparring it was an assistant instructor that was about my size. He took it pretty easy on me as I was a pretty sloppy fighter. I think working with soemone of a higher rank that knows what he's doing is OK but in your situation your goin too fast, hit the bag and do some light sparring with a different partner

There is no teacher but the enemy.