• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What do you think The Karate Kid (the first one) did for the martial arts world?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think The Karate Kid (the first one) did for the martial arts world?

• It helped the MAW
    • It hurt the MAW
    • It didn't help or hurt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what style of karate was in the karate kid movie what did mr myagi teach? i have always wanted to know

I dont know if it was any particular style. The only technique you see him teaching is those blocks. And the punch of course.

My Nidan Grading! Check it Out: http://www.karateforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=27140

OSU!

"Behind each triumph are new peaks to be conquered." - Mas Oyama

Dojo Kun:http://www.diegobeltran.com/htms/dojo/dojokun.htm

https://www.kyokushinkarate.cjb.net

it does contain dragon crane snake tiger and panther what karate style has these aspects.They also do a kata in the movie does anyone recognise it?

The key to everything is continuity achieved by discipline.

I thought he made up or had his own style and called it after him or something, if so then it's probably a mix of different things to look good in the movie...

KBear

"lick your wounds, anxious for the next ones"

I think it made it more accessible to people. Granted, it gave a lot of non-martial artists bad jokes and comments to last an eternity (like my tshirt that has a pic of Mr Miyagi that say "Miyagi Car Wash Service") but I donth think of that as a negative - if we cant laugh at oursleves then we need to get the stick surgically removed.

"The ultimate aim of karate lies not in victory or defeat, but in the perfection of the character of its participants." --- Master Gichin Funakoshi

I think the influx of kids getting exposed to Karate and joing dojos increased dramatically due to that movie. I think it was such a huge push for Karate in North America. How do we know it wasn't funded by a Karate association to increase registration to their Karate franchises at the time? I wouldn't be surprised. Being introduced to something new is the biggest challenge I believe in Life. I think it was good.

I was a brown belt in Tae Kwon Do when the movie came out. I went to see it after class the day it came out. Even tho my instructor was Korean, I saw a lot things in the relationship between Daniel & Mr. Miyagi that I saw in me & my relationship w/ my instructor. :karate:

We had a lot of new students (kids & adults) as a result of the movie. People seemed to want positive attitudes about when & how to fight (or not to fight) in their kids. The "wax on, wax off" stuff aside, it was very postive. :karate:

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

• 2 weeks later...