• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What do you think The Karate Kid (the first one) did for the martial arts world?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think The Karate Kid (the first one) did for the martial arts world?

• It helped the MAW
    • It hurt the MAW
    • It didn't help or hurt

I'll put in my 2 cents:

I think it hurt the MAW because people use it to make fun of martial artists (wax on, wax off)

I agree 100%

Are you saying the only valid way to teach a block is to have the student stand in a kihon line. put there fist by the ear, and move it downward. that's nonsense, I admire the inovative way he taught.

place clever martial arts phrase here

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no, i agree with the concept completely. I think his thoery of wax on and wax off is great , however i feel people who dont take MA try to be annoying and always say that saying again and again making fun of MA philosophy, i dunno how you would mix my message up...but maybe the average public would choose some other saying, if that never came up.

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

I think that the vast majority of non-MAs who use "wax on wax off" to make fun of the martial arts would have made fun of the arts anyway.

On the other hand, I'm sure the way the movie portrayed the philosophy of martial arts piqued the interest of many potential martial artists.

Really, people make fun of Bruce Lee's "monkey noises", but are we seriously going to say his movies were bad for martial arts because of that?

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone else feel old when you see people post that they "weren't alive when KK was released"?

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

• 2 weeks later...

let's see.

karate kid.

daniel.

started of trying to learn from books.

ended up doing esoteric exercises and lots of other light/non-contact and non stressed drills.

the cobra kai, trained full contact, trained to complete exectution of techniques, sparred as a regular part of the class.

the non hard sparring guy wins over the more realistically trained guy.

my problem with the karate kid films is that they mis-present the nature of martial art training. I say that it is because of karate kid, that we have a lot of unrealistic training in a lot of martial arts schools.

someone else here refered to the cobra kai school as being the mcdojo which i think is totally wrong. In today's martial arts training environment, the school that has you doing non-contact esoteric drills and virtually no sparring would be the mcdojo.

earth is the asylum of the universe where the inmates have taken over.

don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers.