• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Tang Soo Do

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I enjoyed it for the brief time I trained in it. My biggest problem with the style was no punches to the head.

What style of Tang Soo Do doesn't strike to the head?

The more I train, the more I see the errors in my technique :(

Yeah, we do a lot of punches to the upper lip and temple. Lately master Soma has been whippin out focus pads and making us actually box. He says it's the one thing that tilts the balance on the art, the lack of hand speed and effectiveness. We should own at the tournaments.

"They look up, without realizing they're standing in the palm of your hand"

"I burn alive to keep you warm"

I enjoyed it for the brief time I trained in it. My biggest problem with the style was no punches to the head.

Many schools train with no punches to the head due to the risk of injury during sparring,... it's not that there IS no punching to the head in the style,... it's just to prevent people from going home bloody...

Master Jason Powlette

5th Dan, Tang Soo Do

--Tang Soo!!!

JaseP, long time no chat. How are ya (bows gracefully).

Lots of personal stuff to deal with...

Separation and pending divorce (amicable)...

New job.

New girlfriend problems.

Fixing up apartment.

Broadband internet and wireless router.

Etc., Etc.

Master Jason Powlette

5th Dan, Tang Soo Do

--Tang Soo!!!

Many schools train with no punches to the head due to the risk of injury during sparring,... it's not that there IS no punching to the head in the style,... it's just to prevent people from going home bloody...

I wanted to learn TSD for fighting purposes as opposed to simply having a good time. If the kids, women, and whoever else prefer not to have contact to the face thats fine, but I because of this rule I never really was taught a whole lot on how to defend against basic punches to the head. Continuous sparring with contact to the face is more what I liked.

So, in general, how difficult would it be to transition from a primarily TKD school to TSD? Obviously every school is different, but are there general differences? Would a TSD school be a good substitue for TKD if there is no TKD to one's liking? This probably isn't something with an easy answer, just thought I'd put it out here. Don't know where I'm going after college, so... don't know what kind of MA will be around. Do TKD and TSD usually play well together, since they are both Korean?

The best a man can hope for

is, over the course of his lifetime,

to change for the better.

I think TSD would be a good substitue to TKD. I went from TSD to TKD. I still spar the TSD way (except no hand contact to the head). And I still throw people for a "loop." Just be aware of "some" TSD folks spar with their front leg (like I do). Most TKD people will be suprised by this (this is my experience, anyways).

TSD folks do hand contact to the head (but not to the face or groin for safety reasons in the dojang). But it also depends on the school/dojang/instructor. TSD is mainly point sparring, but in class, we did takedowns, grappling, and Thai type sparring. It depends on what the instructor knows and teaches.

Laurie F