• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Tang Soo Do

I had my first Tang Soo Do lesson Sunday. It seems to be to be a very complete and effective self defense system once you reach higher levels, it's very straight forward and balanced. We did kick drills, blocks, and punches. I have a feeling I'll really enjoy it. Anyone here with any advice or random info?

"They look up, without realizing they're standing in the palm of your hand"

"I burn alive to keep you warm"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Forgive the begginer question, and I'm sure I can find it on the web, but I just love chatting on hear.

What's the difference between TSD, and TKD?

I don't have to be the best, just better than you!

Working towards 11% BF and a Six pack

Forgive the begginer question, and I'm sure I can find it on the web, but I just love chatting on hear.

What's the difference between TSD, and TKD?

Old Joke I've heard - "What's the difference between Tang Soo Do and Tae Kwon Do?" Answer - 5 letters. Actually, it's not a very good joke, because there are some differences.

Short Answer - To my non-expert eyes, TSD is much, much more similar to traditional karate. Lots more focus on punches and hand techniques. Less focus on kicking. I've went whole TSD classes where not a single kick was thrown.

Long Answer - I'm not going to go there (I'll leave that to someone more qualified to compare the two - and there is some politics involved), but TSD is supposed to included elements of Ancient Korean arts that GM Kee observed as a youngster, and Kung Fu that he studied in China. I don't believe TKD is supposed to include those Chinese elements.

I'd really, really like someone to post a detailed analysis of the Kung Fu elements in TSD. I'm not qualified to pull them out of the style and analyse them, but it would be very interesting.

The main differences between Tang Soo Do and Tae Kwon Do are politics and methods. Many Tae Kwon Do schools emphasize sport and use training methods applicable to that. Most Tang Soo Do schools probably are very proud to say that they focus mainly on self-defense. What you may not know, though, is that the World Tang Soo Do Federation at one time was holding the largest tournaments around. So to say that either focuses moreso on any aspect is incorrect.

In the unification movement in 1950's, Tang Soo Do refused to be included into Tae Kwon Do, probably mainly a political decision.

You will find both Tae Kwon Do and Tang Soo Do schools that over emphasize one aspect over another, such as self-defence vs. sport, but that is really the instructor's take on either art, not the art itself.

Tang Soo Do also, in my opinion, very closely resembles the Chung Do Kwan in the way the techniques are executed, with some additional slight variances.

So basically, they don't have to be very different at all.

Jeff

We train pretty intensively, 2 hour classes 3 times a week. We have a pretty equal balance of hand and foot techniques. Lots of punches and blocks, lots of low kicks. The real part I love about this art is the "snap", or whipping your force, Fa-Jing like. It's pretty powerful, Master Soma can snap so hard he loosens his gi. I'm really dedicated and take it very seriously, it's my 3rd day and I already know my first form (sorta). I really see a good future in this.

"They look up, without realizing they're standing in the palm of your hand"

"I burn alive to keep you warm"