• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Close-in sparring

Highler

You guys are forgetting this is just sparring. Go have some fun you dont need to win. Just train and have fun already. You'll learn more when you're trying to have fun sparring than when your really really focused on winning.

winning isn't the point - perfecting his strategy is. After all, you fight how you train. you won't learn more by having fun - you will learn more by picking something to focus on and working it - whether you win or lose.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One strategy that I've found to work particularly well is positioning and covering up, rather than blocking and countering. Positioning and covering up your organs is vital when someone goes on a flurry of punches. You'll take some bruising to your arms, but just endure the storm for a few seconds; and by the time he realizes that you're still ok, he'll be too tired to defend sufficiently. This is where positioning starts becoming important.

If he has an orthodox stance, get your right foot on the outside of his left foot. He won't be able to produce as much power in his punches and he won't be able to kick, but you still can!

Kyokushin Karate of Los Angeles @ http://www.kyokushinla.com

"Humility is not thinking less of yourself. It is thinking about yourself less."

There's one particular guy in my dojo who i really hate sparring. He's not a big bad black belt, he's blue belt and just slightly bigger than me. The problem is he never leaves a big gap between us. If i step back, he steps forward and is right in my face the whole time and i can't really deal with it.

You've got a good fighter for an opponent. Study this bluebelt style. He might teach you a better lesson in fighting than the BBs in your dojo. :)

I like to have distance and shift about looking for a good opening for a kick or lunge punch and i'm ok at defending kicks etc from distance, stepping to the side blocking and countering.

When we fight so close he keeps hitting me and coming closer and closer and i end up out of breath trying to fend him off. I can't get far away enough to kick him and that's one of my strengths.

How do i spar close-in with this guy? It's honestly easier sparring the BB's!

So many have given good advices. Let me just highlight the good ones and add a few of my own:

1. Side step and then counter. Do diagonal and circular fighting rather than linear ones. Don't insist on backpedalling. He'll surely get you on the long haul. If you wish to risk a little or are brave enough to do so, step forward in to block as he steps forward to attack and then counter. This will be a surprise move and can work to your advance a few times.

2. If you have to back pedal, practice punching or kicking as you step back, e.g. reverse punch while moving backward or step back foot and then do front kick with that same foot.

3. Learn to sweep his foot as he steps forward. If your timing is right, he will lose his balance and that would be your chance to counter as he goes down.

4. Practice "modified" kumite blocking techniques as much and as frequently as the full-blown version (kata or traditional kihon style) during kihon self-practice. Instead of practising the full-blown blocking from hikite position on the hip for the upward or downward blocks for example, practice the modified version of "on-sternum (chest) hikite" position. They are much faster and travel a shorter route to block on-coming punches, strikes and kicks. You will usually fight as you habitually practice, rather than as you intend to, during sparring or actual fight.

5. Train not to fear being hit, in that way you don't need to be backpedalling or running away from an attack in panic as you are attacked. In other words, train to be hit now and then.

Gene

• 2 weeks later...

he steps forward

Say he is stepping forward with his right foot. Right before he transfers his weight to his foot, sweep it to his left. Then follow up with your favorite high attack.

"Between genius and insanity, there lies a fine line. I like to think of it as the tip of the diving board."

-An anonymous insane genius

"Fight I, not as one that beateth the air"

Fight grapplers, boxers and Wing Chun kung fu fighters and then some more. See how people move and observe the similarities between methods. Infighting is not a distance, it's a interpretation of a situation; a frame of mind. There is no one solution to solve every problem, only experience can improve your timing and descision making processes.

I agree that many have given good advice.

1. Side step moving forward in a V stepping pattern as you counter.

I agree that you should do diagonal and circular fighting rather than a linear one.

Back step only to fool your opponent or to regain balance. Do not make it a habit.

2. If you have to back step turn it into a side step with parry and strike.

3. No true blocks (karate). Only strikes. Parry alot, and stay on the move.

4. Follow through, do not stop with one strike, expecting a solid hit. Even if it is, still go through with it.

5. I agree that you should train not to fear being hit. So train getting hit.

6. Be dynamic in your thinking, in your actions, and in your reactions.

7. Do not fight like a boxer, fight like you know how to.

That is, like someone who wants to win.

8. Keep your opponent guessing what is coming next.

Again, use combinations, and set up strikes. Fake high, hit low. Hit low, fake high, strike to the mid section. Etc...

Sparring IS fighting, as this is your opportunity to apply the same principles in training as you would on the street.

Gone are the days of watered-down sparring. This makes for poor martial art training. You will train your mind and body to react improperly, period.

You can still have fun, but spar like you mean it.

Never take yourself too seriously.

Smile.

Relax.

Breathe.

Take care.

:)

Those are my thoughts...

Current:Head Instructor - ShoNaibuDo - TCM/Taijiquan/Chinese Boxing Instructor

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

Be at peace, and share peace with others...