Highler

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the axe kick from close in- they can't see it coming! Use hiza geri to back them up, followed by the axe.

What about punches to back them up ?? They will have to lower their guard to defend their mid area and BOOM , you connect with a hard axe :brow:

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike

I love the axe kick from close in- they can't see it coming! Use hiza geri to back them up, followed by the axe.

What about punches to back them up ?? They will have to lower their guard to defend their mid area and BOOM , you connect with a hard axe :brow:

Heh heh. Haven't forgotten the punches. I like a shita tsuki, furi uchi, followed by a Brazilian kick. Furi Uchi is also a nice set-up for soto mawashigeri. I favor punches to set up the high kicks.

Funny no one has ever managrd to land an ax kick on me to this day.

I used to be ripe for the hook kick the first few times I saw it but I generally try not to be in a position to get hit by one. (a couple of shots to the head will do that to ya!! :lol:)

As an infighter I'm always looking for those crazy kicks I'm more likely to get hit with a good solid punch.

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

Since you ask, I'll offer my 2 cents. Your opponent has sensed your comfort zone and is exploiting it. You respond by trying to maintain your distance, backpedalling, or getting pummeled inside. I say, control the distance. As he advances, move forward and around. Jam. Move around and try not to be predictable about it. Vary your timing.

This the best piece of advice out of all the others I've read. The three most important pieces Meguro highlighted are these: move forward and around, jam, vary your timing. You always want to move in. The best defense against a fighter who moves into you is to move in and work the angle. Moving in not only places you in a more advantageous position to deal a finishing blow or three on your opponent, it has a psychological advantage as you are well aware by your admission that it screws with you mentally. Moving in allows you to komu (jam, crowd) your opponent, which makes striking and/or grappling that much easier. If you can get used to moving in, working the angle, and being close, it'll only take a few times before he decides to try something new...like backing off, which will play right into your original strength of distance, or give you an opportunity to move in, and screw with him mentally (and physically as you deliver another finishing blow or grapple with him). Last but not least, and the most important piece of advice Meguro gave, was timing. Experiment with your timing by first matching his, and then forcing him to match yours. Be careful you don't get speed confused with timing. Varying timing does not mean varying your speed. Experimenting with timing could is as simple as, "Do I interdict him before he moves, or do I intercept him while he is moving?" The first requires you to read him carefully and pick up moves that he telegraphs. The second requires patience.

All in all, Meguro gave the best advice. I'd go with that.

Do you know who Chosin Chibana is...?

The Chibana Project:

http://chibanaproject.blogspot.com

I havent read any comments os i'm just going to write what i would. I would jump back as far as i can and kick at him if he doesnt advance foward, but if he does you kick at him once or none then step foward and around pushing him and just do whatever youc an. Also, just when he keeps on punchingjust kidna liek push his punches to the side and push them to the same side so he gets off balance cause his whole body is facing onside and his arms are tied up and you have his whole side to hit at and remeber he cant kcik either cause he's too close.

Also when me and my sensei spar before or after calss we like go crazy and everyonce in a while we get really close and if there isnt room to back up or we are cornered in the corner of the room or at least if i'm in the corner of the room i getin a horse stance and start like punchign as fast and crazily as i can until he has to back up (but he does a much much better job of making me back up) then i stick out my arm and kinda push him and then litterally sprint like i do in track out into the open. You know you dont have tpo be so restricted in sparring, you can run, you dont only have to fight or dodge, you can run too, it owrks even in sparring.

Focus

I'm a short guy, and one of the things I will do against a taller person when I am really getting into it, is I will move in really close and try to bury my forehead in the guys chest and pound his mid section, or if need be, I can easily find his head and face, since it is right above me. If this guy keeps moving in on you, use that to your advantage, (you said he is slightly bigger than you), and get low and if you want to give him the message that he needs to stay back from you, give him a good shove with your fist and knock him back, and if he does it again, make it more of a strike so he will feel more pain. You just need to get low and bring your hands up close and around your head to protect your face. If you bury your head in his chest, your midsection will be at an angle giving you some distance to generate power in your strikes, but making it difficult for him to generate any real power. This technique works really well if you can get inside, which in your case your opponent is already doing for you.