• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Close-in sparring

Highler

I don't know just how effective this may be, but maybe you could try some uppercuts or knee kicks/strikes. I also agree with the others who mentioned using side steps. That should help greatly! Let us know how it works out!

Kool Kiais: ICE! DIE! KITES! DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHH! KIAI!

"Know Thyself"

"Circumstances make me who I am."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I resemble that person you are talking about!!!! :P

The way to beat a fighter like me is to use your speed and side step tea sabaki will work wonders. Use your timing. If he charges in a good solid front kick will back him off.

If you can upset his balance sweep him. The most important thing is to realize is when you go toe to toe with this kind of fighter, you will be hit learn to exchange and take a few.

I do just the opposite with you fast flexible people. I want to jam you if you can't kick me that is 2 less weapons to worry about. I will grab you, I will throw you. I will be all over you like a sweater on a cold day. If I'm in close enough and keep you off balance your punches will not be as effective and you will constantly be defending instead of attacking. Unless you are a real good counter fighter you will be at a disadvantage.

BTW, I'm also not a very big person and it still works.

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

Use low kicks , front kick , knees , elbows(if allowed) and uppercuts , if he gets to close then punsh !!! force him to back off .

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike

BTW, I'm also not a very big person and it still works.

In fighting is a lot more easier , especially for smaller persons , I am a close ranged fighter myself and taller persons/kickers have a lot of pain dealing with my low kicks and close ranged punches

Andy Hug had long legs , Uchikatageri works perfectly with tall people who fight from distance , and it's a good solution for close ranged/short fighter , however , you must be very fast or you may get caught

I have short legs, for me the axe kick is horrible.

You can become a great fighter without ever becoming a martial artist, but no sir, you can not become a great martial artist with out becoming a great fighter. To fight is most certainly not the aim of any true martial art, but they are fighting arts all the same. As martial artists, we must stand ready to fight, even if hoping that such conflict never comes.

-My response to a fellow instructor, in a friendly debate