• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Self Defense Techniques anyone?

I think any traditional style has this.It's in the forms.

Yes , this is true

Yes, for Shotokan (JKA) karate, we have the 26 kata to learn SD applications from. However, some kata movements or techniques are disguised or have hidden meanings, so therefore the karateka in such instances can extract from its symbolic appearance his own SD interpretation or adopt the suggested interpretations by contemporary kata bunkai experts in Shotokan.

However, what is important is to master the basic (kihon) techniques of defense and attack and perhaps a few simple waza (combinations) rather than the many specific techniques tailor-fitted for specific combat attacks. In an actual fight, you will have to fight instinctively, without much conscious and deliberate thinking, and the variety of attack forms are random and myriad. For this reason, mastering of a few well-habituated moves that have been conditioned through training to almost instinctive, automatic level as sort of template moves adaptable to specific random attacks will be more effective.

Gene

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

shotokan has 26 katas?How many katas do you learn per belt?

In our organization, five kata (Heians) are for white-[9th kyu] to purplebelt [4th kyu]). Two Tekki kata (1 and 2) are for brownbelts (3rd to 1st kyu). Two advanced kata (Bassai and Kanku dai), at least, for 1st degree blackbelt (Sho dan). The rest of the advanced kata, for higher dan rank beyond sho dan.

Shito Ryu has a lot more then Shotokan ;)

Anyways, I got one, "win" :D

Memorizing a checklist of techniques isn't going to help anyone, if you want stuff that works it needs to be adaptable and practiced live. Otherwise it's just choreography.

Andrew Green

http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!

well yeah,but in a situation you can pull out things from katas and adapt them to the situation.I thought my system had a lot of katas,guess not.Goju has 12 and I heard that Uechi has 8,so I guess e have it easier in memorizing forms.

https://www.samuraimartialsports.com for your source of Karate,Kobudo,Aikido,And Kung-Fu

well yeah,but in a situation you can pull out things from katas and adapt them to the situation.I thought my system had a lot of katas,guess not.Goju has 12 and I heard that Uechi has 8,so I guess e have it easier in memorizing forms.

Ah but it's not just about memorising forms; it's about recognising the principles behind the forms and finding out which principles are best for ourselves and our individual bodies, preferences and situations etc.

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

. . . Otherwise someone will pin you against the wall and you'll be there thinking,"A wall pin, yes that's technique number 24, which the arm comes up and .... oh! He's hitting me!"

Then you don't practice enough. Techniques serve a dual purpose: to exercise basic concepts in different applications, and to provide a quick response to an attack. The technique should allow for variables in the attack, such as the angle from which the attack originates, the size of the attacker, and your body position at the time of the attack. If you cannot perform a self-defense technique with these variations, then either it is a poor technique, or you have serious problems with your basics. Also, techniques should not be thought through while being performed, they should be practiced until they are a reaction. If you're going over a technique mentally step-by-step while a punch is coming at you, it is due to insufficient practice, so grab a partner, and get some more repetitions in.

. . . Otherwise someone will pin you against the wall and you'll be there thinking,"A wall pin, yes that's technique number 24, which the arm comes up and .... oh! He's hitting me!"

Then you don't practice enough. Techniques serve a dual purpose: to exercise basic concepts in different applications, and to provide a quick response to an attack. The technique should allow for variables in the attack, such as the angle from which the attack originates, the size of the attacker, and your body position at the time of the attack. If you cannot perform a self-defense technique with these variations, then either it is a poor technique, or you have serious problems with your basics. Also, techniques should not be thought through while being performed, they should be practiced until they are a reaction. If you're going over a technique mentally step-by-step while a punch is coming at you, it is due to insufficient practice, so grab a partner, and get some more repetitions in.

I disagree. It's down to poor instruction and lack of understanding about WHY something works. Techniques are fine if you have 1 or 2 to remember, which is what some of the greatest self-defence instructors advocate, choosing a couple of techniques and drilling and drilling until they are second nature, however if you want to go deeper than a greater understanding is required. This IMO makes a better martial artist, rather than a pure combatant.

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

Agreed. When i act, i simply do. I don't even remember what it is i do, i merely find the opponent on the ground, tied up against the wall, or shut out and closed-in after being overwhelmed. Of the multitude of incidents i've had, i find it harder and harder to recall specifics in my actions the 'more recent' the incident.

This i attribute to going 'beyond' technique. Or, as one of my departed instructors put it, 'beyond the known.'

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro