Self Defense Techniques anyone?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. Of the language in the martial arts community, a technique is the same as an application, which is situation-specific. The initial poster is referring to 54 'applications,' which it seems have somehow been disconnected from the concepts, or principles, that they originate from.

It is very likely, and i'm not familiar with the system you study, that these 'self-defense' applications are for presentation to laymen, as a means of presenting simple choices they can perform in the more common of instances. I gather these are not actually things geared towards the study of a system, or of a means to develop an understanding of principles/concepts.

So, assuming my assumptions are correct, no. Many systems do not provide a series of 'self-defense' techniques, in package form. What is studied is the system as a whole, with the goal of developing a martial artist, not a technician.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

well sometimes in class we do partner drills when the other person attacks and you counter with a predetermined attack,but we don't actually have names for these things.Also we do the applications of the forms,and those are all self defense movements.

https://www.samuraimartialsports.com for your source of Karate,Kobudo,Aikido,And Kung-Fu

White Warlock makes a great point about the sets being primarily for demonstration for laymen. I think that these drills are also good at building reflexes and coordination, among numerous other things. It’s okay to do these choreographed sets at beginner level. The problem that I see is that some schools do this, even at a slow pace, at Black Belt tests. By Black Belt, one should be able to adapt and react to the ‘attacker’ rather than anticipating a punch.

Here’s an example:

In my first Tae Kwon Do school all we did were one-steps. Every one-step was exactly the same from the attacker’s perspective. It was always attacker step back into a left foot forward front stance, low block. Then step forward right foot forward front stance, front punch. Then the exponent would do a simple block then strike. There was never any variance, not even for the advanced Black Belts. No one ever defended against a kick, grab, weapon or even a high punch. Every single one-step was the same.

In my last Tae Kwon Do class, it was quite the opposite. The Instructor would give a few suggestions (if he does this then you can do this or that or the other) but we were never limited. By Black Belt we would stand in the middle with our eyes closed. The Instructor would then tell a person to attack with a specific attack (i.e. hair grab, bear hug, lapel grab, etc.) so it was always improvised.

The arranged self-defense techniques, therefore, are good for learning the basics of self-defense, but when it comes to real-life situations you must be well versed in reacting to an attacker. If you are still practicing choreographed, finite sets by Black Belt then something’s wrong.

I think principles need to be concentrated on rather than set techniques. Otherwise someone will pin you against the wall and you'll be there thinking,"A wall pin, yes that's technique number 24, which the arm comes up and .... oh! He's hitting me!"

I agree Angela!

JUST TRAIN

Student of the Han Method

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's allready tomorrow in Australia" Charles Schultz

https://www.YounWha.com

I think principles need to be concentrated on rather than set techniques. Otherwise someone will pin you against the wall and you'll be there thinking,"A wall pin, yes that's technique number 24, which the arm comes up and .... oh! He's hitting me!"

When you continue to train and advance in your martial arts studies, it should be your goal to transend(sp) beyond your self defense sets in that you're no longer thinking about this number or that number. That is where your self-expression or knowledge should be kickin in. Remember what you learn at the lower ranks is just a base to build upon :wink: :karate:

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

When you continue to train and advance in your martial arts studies, it should be your goal to transend(sp) beyond your self defense sets in that you're no longer thinking about this number or that number. That is where your self-expression or knowledge should be kickin in. Remember what you learn at the lower ranks is just a base to build upon :wink: :karate:

Wasn't that a bit like what I was saying??

Anyhow I don't think that techniques should EVER be taught as a numbered list, for beginners or otherwise. Why teach one way, get to a certain grade and then change the goalposts? In addition how would you compensate for different levels of learning, some people pick up concepts at a much faster rate than others.

I've heard a lot excuses about poor teaching. People claiming that they know that this technique or that technique is not really effective (and in fact in some cases dangerous) but that they are teaching beginners and therefore just trying to build the foundations and the real learning comes later. I completely disagree with this. Teach effective stuff, and important principles right from the start. Only upon strong and effective principles can a strong and effective art be based. The name actually gives it away "principle".

Karate is not football, IMO there is no place for set-plays.

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

"Teach effective stuff, and important principles right from the start"

I agreewith that ,that's why i don't like to see or learn multiple ways of escaping from somebody grabbing your wrist because chances are attacks won't ever start that way.

https://www.samuraimartialsports.com for your source of Karate,Kobudo,Aikido,And Kung-Fu

I agreewith that ,that's why i don't like to see or learn multiple ways of escaping from somebody grabbing your wrist because chances are attacks won't ever start that way.

Actually a wrist grab is a very common way for a woman to be attacked. If you have ever seen any victims of domestic abuse a common giveaway sign is bruises around the victim's wrists.

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

Actually a wrist grab is a very common way for a woman to be attacked. If you have ever seen any victims of domestic abuse a common giveaway sign is bruises around the victim's wrists.

hmmm, good point.I guess it's rare for guys only.