• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kum Do for kids?

I like the idea of making one's own weapons. More on that?

TKDmom

We make padded sticks by getting some PVC Pipe, the foam pipe insulation that goes around it and then wrapping the whole thing in hockey tape. You can do the same thing with sai (a little weird looking, but the idea is there), nunchaku, three-sectional staff, bo, etc.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Basically that is it, we had some sai custom made by a former student with access to a foam factory as the plumbing dept ones where not that good ;)

For younger students instead of using pipe insulator I've used Pool noodles, and that works great. Can beat the tar out of each other and not get hurt. Same idea, stick a pvc pipe down the hole in the middle, but leave a handle on the end for them to hold on to.

Andrew Green

http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!

Hello sir, I would first like to know where are you located. the reason for that is because i am a assiastant Haidong GUMDO instructor in the North Carolina area.

If you have any questions you can send me a message...

( I know all color belt forms and the first couple of black belt forms)

Excuse me Ms. KILL JILL

it says that you are in South Korea, I am going to South Korea next year for the world championship of Haidong Gumdo i was wondering if you are too, or if you know anything about it.... thanks

(sorry to get off subject) :P

No, sorry, I'm not aware of the Haidong Gumdo competition schedule - especially as you say it's next year - that's too early planning for me! I've never been to a live Gumdo tournament in Korea - I just saw a Kendo comp in Japan once. I've only seen a Gumdo comp on TV here. At first I thought, wow, these guys look impressive. But they finished their round, took off their masks, and I saw they were just little kids! Most of the tournament you referred to will probably consist of 70% plus of kids. Recently though, in recognition of foreign guests, such tournaments have started to include performances from people involved in other areas of Korean arts - fan dance, drumming, singing etc. Actually these extra performances have often been better than the actual competition themselves! I speak mainly about TKD tournaments here.

I'm sorry to say, I'm not that interested in pure Gumdo. I prefer the Chinese sword arts, or the integration of gumdo with hapkido.

There must be a Haidong Gumdo HQ website here which lists the schedules. If you can find one, and need a translation of info - because often these sites are written in Korean only - I can attempt to give it.

That's another point... The Kukkiwon, for example, only provides half their info in English, and a lot of the English info about schedules etc is outdated. I wonder why the HQ of a truly global federation should not give equal attention to its English language pages.

There are no limits.

http://taekwondodiaries.blogspot.com

^^*