• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sharing MA school space

Recently my son's TKD instructor ask my husband and I if we can teach Shotokan Karate on the days that the school is close. Tkd classes are held Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays. He wants us to teach Shotokan Mondays and Wednesdays. I was not sure about this so I call my sensei in TX and he told me to go ahead and do it. Is that a good idea? What do I need to do? :o

What questions do I have to ask him about finances, etc? Any suggestion will be very helpful! :-?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

whats exactly the problem with it? A dojo you can use to make a few extra bucks, and teach a different martial arts theory than what students would regularly train in. Sounds good.

"Question oneself, before you question others"

What questions do I have to ask him about finances, etc? Any suggestion will be very helpful!

what % share he wants out of the deal, and then you can decide how much to charge.

Make sure it's clear that you don't make the classes intentionally oppose the theories and techniques represented in TKD (ie: "well this move is better than the TKD move because etc....), and expect the same from the other Sensei.

"Question oneself, before you question others"

You'll need to talk to the other instructrs in the space and get a good rapport with them. I have experienced situations where teachers teaching at different times in the space would end up having their own little turf wars around signs, training equipment, coffee machines, and the like. Each teacher is going to have different pet peeves around things in the training space, and it can be surprisingly easy to cause animosity based on something simple like putting kicking pads back in the 'wrong' place.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

Personally, I think teaching two different types of striking arts like TKD and Shotokan by different instructors is going to run into some problems. Like "Ous is better than there's."

I've taught in the same space as judo and aikido sensei before and it worked out fine because they are such different arts as what I do.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

In the university where I really got my start in MA there are several MA classes available. I have never heard the statement "this is better than that style because...". I have heard them occasionally say "for me, d/t build, flexibility, etc, I prefer this approach". However even then they have also all said that it is better to have a very full bag of different tools available than a mostly empty one, and they encourage adding techniques, not replacing known ones.

Getting a blackbelt just says you have learned the basics and are ready to actually study the form as an art.

When I did TSD, we "shared" our space with a very good Jujitsu instructor. Like Shorinryu Sensei said, the styles were so different that there wasn't (still isn't) any problems. We even shared students. 20% of the TSD students cross-trained with him, and brought what they knew to us. He didn't have a problem with that.

As far as finances and things go, I wouldn't know. I learned the stuff for free "second hand" LOL. It wasn't much. Just a few takedowns (other than what we were taught anyways) and a few grappling things. But they were useful (we learned a bit of Hapkido, so it was somewhat the same in that degree).

Laurie F