• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Any fellow karateka willing to give Advice?

Chemical Burn

I recently transfered to university, its been a difficult change but I believe Im beginning to adapt. I work and go to class everyday, but there still seems to be something missing. I cant just go running or go to the gym and train because that doesnt keep me focused or entertained. Back home, I trained in Shorin Ryu Shorinkan (kobayashi). I went to a "martial arts club" meeting here and actually the only martial art they did was Taekwondo. Now, I have nothing against people who practice this particular martial art, yet, coming from a very formal karate class, I couldnt help but feel silly looking at the "master" practice. I tried to keep an open mind and went to one practice, but it seemed as if they were more interested in looking to get into fights than to actually learn techniques. This goes against everything ive been taught in karate and I felt like the TKD class was too goofy for me. The instructor would continuously go off on a tangent speaking about other things that had nothing to do with training and the students would constantly talk back to him. All banter which would never be tolerated in my dojo back home. I never really even considered my previous training to be all that formal, however this was particularly shoking for me.

Anyway, I really need to get back into training, I feel like I need it.

There are Aikido, Capoeira, Muay Thai, and Shotokan classes being offered here.

My first option was shotokan because it is closest to my original style, however I wouldnt mind learning something new. Yet, I feel it has to be something along the lines of karate because it is the style I feel comfortable with, maybe because its my first. The nearest shotokan club is a good 20 mins away and Im a college student without much money to spend on gas, but if it is worth it then I will make the sacrifice. I will try to go and see a practice later today.

Ive made this long enough, and if youve managed to read through it, then I deeply thank you.

Any advice or similar experience replies will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

~Chris~

Victory is Nothing. The Fight is Everything.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hey Chris,

It sounds like that you have a certain level of expectations from your experience with your former dojo. If you feel that the TKD club is not up to your expectations, nothing against the art of TKD, then you should keep shopping around. From the other arts you listed, sounds like Shotokan or Aikido may present more of what you are looking for.

However each club will have their own etiquette as to how formal or informal they want to hold class. Maybe give the other places a look, and see what feels right for you at the time. In the meantime work on the things you've learned from your former dojo. Good luck :karate:

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

as for the post about muy thai, the elbo and knee techniques should already be in your karate.

I would say that you'd feel more at home in Shotokan, but be warned, most shotokan dojo's are pretty tame compred to shorin-ryu. A good one will be almost the same as what you're used to.

Aikido could be good choice as well. It's a world a part from karate yet very similar. I enjoyed the Aikido I practiced very much, I learned a lot, but I prefer the hard-nose punching kicking and throwing of Karate. Aikido is very soft and evasive.

PS, if the TKD guys really like to spar, I hope that's what you meant when you said they were looking for fights, try your shorin-ryu techniques on them. It'll be an experience for you both.

You can become a great fighter without ever becoming a martial artist, but no sir, you can not become a great martial artist with out becoming a great fighter. To fight is most certainly not the aim of any true martial art, but they are fighting arts all the same. As martial artists, we must stand ready to fight, even if hoping that such conflict never comes.

-My response to a fellow instructor, in a friendly debate

Chris- where is your university anyway? I might know some people in the area.

You can become a great fighter without ever becoming a martial artist, but no sir, you can not become a great martial artist with out becoming a great fighter. To fight is most certainly not the aim of any true martial art, but they are fighting arts all the same. As martial artists, we must stand ready to fight, even if hoping that such conflict never comes.

as for the post about muy thai, the elbo and knee techniques should already be in your karate.

I would say that you'd feel more at home in Shotokan, but be warned, most shotokan dojo's are pretty tame compred to shorin-ryu. A good one will be almost the same as what you're used to.

Aikido could be good choice as well. It's a world a part from karate yet very similar. I enjoyed the Aikido I practiced very much, I learned a lot, but I prefer the hard-nose punching kicking and throwing of Karate. Aikido is very soft and evasive.

PS, if the TKD guys really like to spar, I hope that's what you meant when you said they were looking for fights, try your shorin-ryu techniques on them. It'll be an experience for you both.

1- elbows and knee techniques in thai boxing are not comparable to any karate style, they perfected the art of using them. what do we got in shotokan to offer ? heian yondan? Bassai dai? kusanku?

2- shotokan will be your worst choice(if you are above 4th kyu or so), your katas will be all mixed up.it's a step back if you move from Naihanchi to Tekie.

i think i would try aikido becuase all the otheres have aspects of karate yet it doesnt have locks and throws it could make you a more accuplished martial artist

The key to everything is continuity achieved by discipline.

P.A.L. - Anyone can perfect using an elbow to the head, I don't know how you run Tekki, but I run Tekki shodan full of elbow's to the head. In addition Empi has a really nice flying knee in it.

As I said, most Shotokan Dojo's are pretty tame, most but not all. I'd advise you to look a little deeper into it, sort out the mcdojo's and see how real shotokan schools fight.

aikido could be the best for you. i have black belt as well, and even i practise jujutsu, my instructor believes aikido is of the most advanced martail arts, although tough for whinners :lol: